Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848962 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7980 on: May 01, 2020, 11:12:46 am »

Now introducing: The Necrobees
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: May 01, 2020, 12:58:50 pm »

I've always found it amusing that Charm Person is the basis for pretty much all the D&D love potions. Just add a dash of Rohypnol for that perfect date!
I... don't see how it's amusing.
That is exactly what the date rape drug of the medieval era should have as a basis, the date rape spell.
Were they actually casting date rape spells on each other in the medieval period?

Considering magic doesn't actually work, possibly.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: May 01, 2020, 02:08:07 pm »

Now introducing: The Necrobees
Actually, I've already modded those into DF.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: May 02, 2020, 05:38:13 am »

I've always found it amusing that Charm Person is the basis for pretty much all the D&D love potions. Just add a dash of Rohypnol for that perfect date!
I... don't see how it's amusing.
That is exactly what the date rape drug of the medieval era should have as a basis, the date rape spell.
Were they actually casting date rape spells on each other in the medieval period?

Considering magic doesn't actually work, possibly.

I seem to recall reading about a historical figure (pre-medieval period) who, while hosting an attractive female dignitary, over-salted his guest's food so that she became intensely thirsty during the night to the point where he could extort sex from her in exchange for water.

It was a popsci publication though, so {citation needed}, but people were definitely dicks enough to try any sort of underhanded tactics they felt were plausible for getting their dickishness moistened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7984 on: May 02, 2020, 08:12:10 am »

I seem to recall reading about a historical figure (pre-medieval period) who, while hosting an attractive female dignitary, over-salted his guest's food so that she became intensely thirsty during the night to the point where he could extort sex from her in exchange for water.

It was a popsci publication though, so {citation needed}, but people were definitely dicks enough to try any sort of underhanded tactics they felt were plausible for getting their dickishness moistened.
Oh cool, he invented cinema food

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: May 06, 2020, 08:03:43 pm »

My sauceror has determined that my GM's variety of cubic dungeon jelly is edible and quite delicious after the poison is removed. As a sauceror, those two roadblocks disappear after two seconds of spellcasting.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: May 08, 2020, 10:39:24 am »

So, conversion Warlocks... Characters that use their high CHA to persuade others into serving their patron, shaping cults and earning boons for their service in providing more followers.

What's your preferred patron? Archfey has the Fey Presence thing (which honestly seems a little tricky to maneuver properly), and the spell list has stuff like Calm Emotions and eventually Dominate Beast/Person. There's also the 14th level ability, but that's more for getting one particular individual over to your side than convincing or addressing a larger group.

Fiend actually has some utility with Dark One's Own Luck letting you add 1d10 to an ability check or saving throw, for example when attempting to persuade a group of prospective followers of the wisdom in embracing your patron's guidance. I also think it'd be funny to use Fiendish Resilience along with burning/poisoning yourself in an act to prove the protection your lord provides you. Command on the spell list is nice too, plus they actually get Hallow should you finally pull a proper cult together and want to have some fun with that.

GOO has some nifty stuff in the spell list, plus telepathy can potentially let you have a little "voice of god" moment with people. I imagine speaking from inside someone's head should do a number on convincing them of supernatural power. Thralls at 14th are fun too for those particularly difficult nuts to crack.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: May 09, 2020, 10:00:34 am »

So, conversion Warlocks... Characters that use their high CHA to persuade others into serving their patron, shaping cults and earning boons for their service in providing more followers.

What's your preferred patron?
This sounds a lot like those semi-Christian YHWH cults that pop up in the Americas from time to time. On that basis I would be inclined to lean towards GOO. Although that kind of thing could also be represented by celestial, fire and radiance aren't really the most relevant parts of the YHWH setup to your concept.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: May 09, 2020, 11:24:47 am »

I mean, it counts for several different kinds of culty business, but those certainly work as inspiration! And yeah, GOO telepathy is sweet thematically, and lets you both proselytize "privately" while in public and also get around that nasty "knowing the same language" business to give you a more diverse base of followers... Additionally, provided that you have a very understanding DM; the new devotees could potentially get the same ability since it's level 1 and all, allowing you to develop an excellent shadow cult that can telecommunicate and plot with each other in secret.

In other news, here's a stupid gimmick character concept: Battlemaster with Crossbow Expert and a net. Stand next to somebody, slap them with the net (CE removes melee range disadvantage for ranged weapons), apply Menacing Attack maneuver to the net to deal a little damage and also frighten (on a failed Wis save) the target until the end of your next turn, CE then lets you pew them once with a bonus action for damage.

Restrained drops the target's speed to 0 and provides advantage on attacks against it. Menacing Attack causes Frightened for disadvantage on ability checks while the frightener is within sight. Net requires a strength check in order to break out of. Victim can't run away from frightener because speed is 0. Take Archery fighting style for extra +2 on net and crossbow attacks.

Pew with im-pew-nity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: May 09, 2020, 11:27:27 am »

...I like it.
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: May 09, 2020, 01:48:35 pm »

There might be something to that idea as a Paladin of Conquest as well. A net would let them lock people down earlier than normal and can be allowed to fall by the wayside once they hit level 7 and fear becomes it's own net.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: May 10, 2020, 05:56:51 am »

Flipping through the book again, and... RAW, you can use the Feinting Attack battle maneuver to gain advantage on a spell attack. Since you can only use the maneuver on someone within melee range, that means you're probably going to want to use a touch spell that uses an attack roll.

I dunno about you, but advantage on Inflict Wounds seems like it'd be fun.

And now, a philosophical question: If you cast Dream on a sleeping beholder, would that create a clone of whoever acted as the messenger in the dream?

Similarly, if you use the Dream option to make the messenger appear "monstrous and terrifying", would that then create a monstrous and terrifying version of the messenger in question? Potentially shaped by the behaviors and the ten words the monstrous messenger is allowed to speak during the dream?

...don't mind me, I'm just trying to weaponize forces beyond my control or understanding.

I'm also slightly curious how an Illusionist's level 14 Illusory Reality is supposed to work with Dream. Or Phantasmal Killer. Or any number of other Illusion spells that aren't Minor, Silent, or Major Image.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: May 10, 2020, 07:24:46 am »

So, just finished session zero of an Al-Qadim game in 5e (using mostly stuff from Kobold Press and Jeremy Forbin's subclasses, for those interested). We're starting at level 1, and I'm aiming to actually do that thing at level 2 and 3 where characters get 'inducted' into their subclass.

First will be our Halfling Druid Barber. Basically, I need more puns for an order of Barber-druids. Riding the straight-razor edge between city life and the wild deserts.

Any thoughts?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: May 10, 2020, 07:54:11 am »

First will be our Halfling Druid Barber. Basically, I need more puns for an order of Barber-druids. Riding the straight-razor edge between city life and the wild deserts.

Any thoughts?
Ah, a Bushmaster! Lashing freely into any hairy situation, unshaken by even the closest of shaves! Charging headlong into any tangle, and emerging victorious through razor wit or shear luck! Shedding all unnecessary trappings and cutting straight to the chase; the braiding together of the civilized and uncivilized worlds into a unique weave of culture and primalism... Doing away with the locks and trappings of over-sophisticated pomposity, while narrowly avoiding the rat's nest of outright savagery!

...yeah, that's all I've got for now.

In other news, UA is still as broken as one would expect. Wizard 1/Circle of Twilight Druid 16 can cast Magic Missile for (1d4+1+8d10)x11 damage.

Also the new Barbarian UA is "Ha ha fuck the rest of my party also I'm a magic battery".

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: May 10, 2020, 09:29:21 am »

UA being broken is a feature, not a bug. And Twilight Circle becoming official is highly unlikely for a number of reasons. That new barbarian is pretty great though.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 623