Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 179770 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #885 on: February 21, 2020, 04:21:53 pm »

I'm playing NES Wizardry and actually having a pretty good time. The music and (still minimal) graphics help my imagination along just enough to enjoy the experience, whereas the DOS version mostly annoyed me. There's a satisfying "do, doo, dooo, DOOOO" jingle when reviving characters, and each town sub-menu gets a jaunty little tune.

It wasn't really the graphics or sound that bothered me about the DOS version. It's just weird technical things that only apply to DOS games of a certain vintage. The game demands you make a "scenario disk" before playing, prompts to make a password for each character, and doesn't recognize the backspace key. If I were more patient I could get it working but the NES version seems identical, except perhaps a bit easier.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 21, 2020, 06:20:24 pm »

Oxygen Not Included, currently setting up a natural gas generator scheme with NG geyser. Aww yiss.
Really, the solution for most resource problems is to find enough NG geysers, pressurice the output at 20 atmospheres, and use that as a giant tank to run several NGenerators. The CO2 and polluted water give you dirt,  purified water can be turned into oxygen... it's really convenient.

Only problem is heat runoff. What's the current status of heat management solutions? I know breezeworts are not as good as they used to be, and the neutronium freezers tend to be on ass-ends of the world.

I guess I ought to figure out a decent heat pump first... easier said than done
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 21, 2020, 07:23:06 pm »

Emulating Pikmin and giving myself that good old childhood anxiety whenever I waste a few dozen pikmin lives.

Now I understand why I never finished this game as a kid.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #888 on: February 21, 2020, 07:34:20 pm »

Just played through Death and Taxes. According to Steam achievements I somehow managed to get the best ending possible for humanity without even trying. I have no idea how. Some people seem to have spent a lot longer on their first play through than me xD One guy in his review said he took 6 hours? Steam says I took 116 minutes.

...did...did I miss a whole extra game in there somehow?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 21, 2020, 09:17:39 pm »

Emulating Pikmin and giving myself that good old childhood anxiety whenever I waste a few dozen pikmin lives.

Now I understand why I never finished this game as a kid.
I remember fighting a boss in Pikmin waaay back in the day, messing up one time, and seeing half of my squad die at once. I think a part of me died with them that day. Dear lord, it was traumatizing.

Nowadays I think I would behave in the exact opposite way. Heck, I'd probably be laughing as I hurl them at enemies and shout, "Yes! Die for my conquest, you hapless ones and zeroes!"

Oh, how times change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 22, 2020, 03:59:50 am »

Just played through Death and Taxes. According to Steam achievements I somehow managed to get the best ending possible for humanity without even trying. I have no idea how. Some people seem to have spent a lot longer on their first play through than me xD One guy in his review said he took 6 hours? Steam says I took 116 minutes.

...did...did I miss a whole extra game in there somehow?

Speedrunning champion MorleyDev
Love, scriver~

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #891 on: February 22, 2020, 01:16:01 pm »

Probably more like "Heartless MorleyDev didn't bother sitting and reading the rest of this persons profile when a quick skim showed that the rules said they had to die. Rules are rules after all. Oh, and today? The rules says that everyone on the bottom row has to die? No point troubling myself by reading their profiles then! Dead dead dead dead dead. Well that day was quick."

Turns out following the rules and only then ordering people so that you kill the people who you think 'most deserve it' and spare the everyone else is both efficient and productive. In your face, ethics!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 01:20:19 pm by MorleyDev »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 22, 2020, 01:31:28 pm »

Back to FFXIV, new patch was this week.

Added a buncha stuff, enjoying it immensely. They put Ruby Weapon in as an optional fight.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 22, 2020, 04:12:16 pm »

Probably more like "Heartless MorleyDev didn't bother sitting and reading the rest of this persons profile when a quick skim showed that the rules said they had to die. Rules are rules after all. Oh, and today? The rules says that everyone on the bottom row has to die? No point troubling myself by reading their profiles then! Dead dead dead dead dead. Well that day was quick."

Turns out following the rules and only then ordering people so that you kill the people who you think 'most deserve it' and spare the everyone else is both efficient and productive. In your face, ethics!

Wait, you got the best ending for humanity doing that? I was cheerfully following orders for 59 minutes and got about the ending I expected:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4-5 hours sounds about right if you're sitting there listening to the dialogues slowly and weighing the morality of each choice to let people live or die... and my hour is about right if you're just reading the text and scanning the documents for keywords while rubber stamping orders. (And, yes, I did read every single profile and news update... the voice of conscience I couldn't really read because I don't have audio and the subtitles are white text... and mostly show up when you're reading a profile that, most of the time, will cover the subtitle area.)

Despite some of the conceptual similarites, Death and Taxes just didn't grab me the same way that Papers, Please, Beholder, Orwell, This War of Mine, or any number of fairly recent morality plays did, like Frostpunk. I think it's partly the setting-- you're a figure literally born to kill people and you have the blessing from up on high to do so, unlike the rest of the list where you're an ordinary person placed into a tough situation

Also: Wow, that's a big game for, frankly, not much there. Were those lines of audio supplied in RAW or something? -_-
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:42:49 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 24, 2020, 07:55:41 am »

I remember fighting a boss in Pikmin waaay back in the day, messing up one time, and seeing half of my squad die at once. I think a part of me died with them that day. Dear lord, it was traumatizing.

Nowadays I think I would behave in the exact opposite way. Heck, I'd probably be laughing as I hurl them at enemies and shout, "Yes! Die for my conquest, you hapless ones and zeroes!"

Oh, how times change.

I have quickly switched to malice. A general apathy for the pikmin is healthy, I think.

'Alright, fine! Just drown to death, carrotman.'

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 24, 2020, 08:03:47 am »

I never really developed that part. Especially not towards the fully-bloomed flowerbros.

Not even the poisonous Olimar akbar white pikmin from Pikmin 2 whose entire purpose was to get eaten.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 24, 2020, 09:59:11 am »

mostly EVE Online. a friend wanted me to check the WoW private server she´s playing on but its based on referrals and from helping her with some mission it seems is not really well scripted. i kind of have an itch to play WoW again but i want a server that actually does something meaningfull, Vanilla+ seems to be going into that direction but i just cant get into the vanilla races at all. wish there was a server focused on being more sandboxy, allowing players to pick races from newer expansions (at least Pandaria, the allied races from BfA are just filler) while having more freedom of class selection (as in you could choose any race and mix it with almost any class).

oh i also tried Elona, but didnt get too far in the start. thought i could play mutant tourist but the controls alone are tricky.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 24, 2020, 10:14:04 am »

Reviewing this page of posts reminded me of my Pikmin any% speedrun way back in the early aughties. Basically hop back on the ship as soon as you get control and progress to the next day without accomplishing anything.

That was a waste of time.

As for what I'm playing, I picked up Project Zomboid and PC Building Simulator again. Two games I've put some amount of time again, but they had recent updates and I haven't touched them in a while so why not.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 24, 2020, 11:15:05 am »

I'm about to retire my Brute in Gloomhaven shortly before I get to level 7. It's a pretty good character, but our tinker's player/the game's owner became a character with almost exactly the same moves (3 spears, hence the name Brittany) when they "retired"*.

*The tinker died in the last mission before retiring, so everyone except the player has agreed we definitely brought the body back to get rezzed, and didn't just leave the tinker to rot in the cave. The tinker retired to a farm upstate, but is happy and wouldn't want to be reminded of the adventuring life they left behind, and that's why we can't visit.

I'll probably be picking up either the cragheart to get some healing again, or the triforce character.

oh i also tried Elona, but didnt get too far in the start. thought i could play mutant tourist but the controls alone are tricky.

Yeah, it's partly based on ADOM, so there is some old-school weirdness to it, before it got Japan-ed up. You might want to start with a fighter or pianist (for weightlifting), and not a slug or tourist. Not because those classes are good, but because they're fairly easy to do early-game stuff with. Depending on what you're into, it's fairly easy to do most of the first continent stuff without any combat skills, if you pick good allies.

I'd recommend doing whatever non-combat quests you can in every town you go to, to gain the skill tokens. The god who gives you the goose can help with that as well. Step 2 is grabbing the gardening and cooking skills and some sort of portable equipment for cooking, then go south-southeast to the farming village (starvation can be an issue there, which is why you want cooking skill), and do all of the harvest quests there. It builds a lot of important stats, they're fairly easy, and your allies will get some combat training. You can eat food off the ground without stealing, but there's no good way to check to see if it's cursed without picking it up.

Once a town is overrun by aliens/clones, it's a good time to accept the nuke palmia quest, and just get rid of whatever town you want to. Leave town before the explosion (obviously), then return asap to collect the loot everyone dropped. Good way to fill your museum (which may or may not be worth buying before you get all of the nice NPC cards and figures).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: February 24, 2020, 12:57:44 pm »

Also, don't actually take your pianist out busking right away. You'll get stoned to death for your affront to the concept of music.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 100