Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: The forum is changing in a bad way?  (Read 8919 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The forum is changing in a bad way?
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2008, 11:55:18 am »

Being elitist on the internet doesn't make you elite. It just makes you a tool.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2008, 12:01:27 pm »

Hey now. Tool is a good band - lighten up. I don't understand why everyone thinks being a tool is such a bad thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2008, 12:04:21 pm »

My biggest problem with the forums: nobody puts anything in the right sections.

GENERAL IS NOT DWARF MODE DISCUSSION
DWARF MODE DISCUSSION IS NOT DF QUESTIONS

And that's really it.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2008, 12:27:31 pm »

What makes a forum is the people who attend it, not the content they put up. At the end of the day, the quality of any board is an amalgamation of the quality of the people who post. Therefore, if you object to certain threads, the solution is to make threads that you don't object to. Like-minded individuals will see this, and have a reason to stay.

Forums go downhill when intelligent people stop posting because they think no one else is intelligent. It becomes a spiral of indifference by the people, and any new people who want intelligent conversation will be put off.

So in the end, you only have yourself to blame if you do not see what you are looking for. It's a long way from being too late to fix this.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2008, 01:05:14 pm »

My biggest problem with the forums: nobody puts anything in the right sections.

GENERAL IS NOT DWARF MODE DISCUSSION
DWARF MODE DISCUSSION IS NOT DF QUESTIONS

And that's really it.

The sections are really vague. "General discussion" can encompass both things; Then "Gameplay questions" is a more specific subsection that encompasses both Dwarf mode and Adventure mode, but it's never specified what section is supposed to be exactly for what or what types of topics are supposed to go where.

I really don't see it as a big deal though.

Oh Jesus

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2008, 04:06:15 pm »

Elitist? Interesting sentence, the problem is that it has nothing to do with the topic.   ::)
You probably misunderstood something.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2008, 04:21:23 pm »

No, no.  You see, thinking that stupid humor isn't funny is an elitist act.  We think we're better than the people who do find stupid humor funny, and thus elitism is kindled.

I'm a bit tired right now, so I don't really have the mental capacity to come up with a suitably well-conveyed argument for the current points in play.  I'm just popping in to mention an observation I've made about the Internet.

I've seen two predominant types of people on the net.  Those who are genuinely stupid, and those who imitate the stupid ones for comedic effect.

The stupid ones don't get it, and so they find it funny on their level of understanding.  The others do get it, so they find it funny on their level.

The only problem with this is what happens over an extended period.  The stupid ones stay stupid, but the smarter ones get so used to pretending to be stupid, that they actually dumb down.  Given enough time, the stupid ones are the only group left.

I've seen this happen firsthand.  It really surprised me, but it does happen.  Just be careful how far you take things, especially out here.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2008, 04:28:31 pm »

The stupid ones don't get it, and so they find it funny on their level of understanding.  The others do get it, so they find it funny on their level.

The only problem with this is what happens over an extended period.  The stupid ones stay stupid, but the smarter ones get so used to pretending to be stupid, that they actually dumb down.  Given enough time, the stupid ones are the only group left.

I get what you're saying here.  HOLY ARMOK stopped being fun around 50 posts when it turned into some weird game of oneupmanship.  Ironic humor is very delicate activity, it's quite possible to go overboard.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2008, 04:29:51 pm »

No, no.  You see, thinking that stupid humor isn't funny is an elitist act.  We think we're better than the people who do find stupid humor funny, and thus elitism is kindled.

Well, "stupid humor isn't funny" might be an elitist act...however I was talking about trollish/spammerish posters/posts. I've not even mentioned anything like that actually. [Humor is absolutely okay in my book, stupid humor is not, but its a matter of personal opinion that what do we consider as humor or "stupid humor".]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2008, 04:50:08 pm »

One could say the same about elitism.  But one could even go so far as to say that, since reality is defined by the senses, everything is a matter of personal opinion.

I admit to acting elitist at times.  But I feel justified for almost all the times I did.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2008, 06:34:45 pm »

I admit to acting elitist at times.  But I feel justified for almost all the times I did.

That of course, would be why it's called elitism.  If everything is a matter of personal opinion, when it is justified to call out on another's sense of humor?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2008, 06:43:13 pm »

It's the INTERNET

the only thing worse than people being dumb on the internet is people getting all up in arms about it like they're wrecking it...like there's something to wreck.

Oh Jesus

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2008, 08:47:22 pm »

You are all wrong and have bad hair.
Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2008, 08:49:54 pm »

You are all wrong and have bad hair.

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2008, 09:00:31 pm »

Methinks this thread is actually more frustrating and "bad" than the "bad" threads.

I should have read some threads and responded in a witty manner instead of read this for five pages. I suggest everyone else do the same. :(
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9