Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9484 9485 [9486] 9487 9488 ... 10993

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13519721 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142275 on: January 28, 2019, 10:41:29 pm »

First wtf is the thing itself, like, what kind of goddamn drugs do these east european devs do
Krokodil, probably.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142276 on: January 28, 2019, 11:22:48 pm »

Really my grievance is that, that's what modern life IS now.  Job hunting is exactly the same.  You carpet bomb the entire local area in resumes, and even getting A RESPONSE, not even a positive one, a response is a miracle at all.  And there's just no alternative anymore, it just shouting at brick walls all the way down until you discover there's no place for you in modern society and finally just off yourself.
Not for me. No matter what I say though I'm sure you can think of a way to rationalize it that ignores my experience and supports your negative outlook though

I've probably already heard it from someone else anyway.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #142277 on: January 29, 2019, 12:10:11 am »

And there's just no alternative anymore, it just shouting at brick walls all the way down until you discover there's no place for you in modern society and finally just off yourself.
There is an alternative; move country. You'll start off on the bottom rung all over again and you'll probably get loads of prejudice & bullshit thrown your way but sometimes it takes moving abroad to find that way forwards. The one downside of alienation when moving abroad doesn't really apply when you are alienated at home too

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142278 on: January 29, 2019, 02:05:06 am »

And there's just no alternative anymore, it just shouting at brick walls all the way down until you discover there's no place for you in modern society and finally just off yourself.
There is an alternative; move country. You'll start off on the bottom rung all over again and you'll probably get loads of prejudice & bullshit thrown your way but sometimes it takes moving abroad to find that way forwards. The one downside of alienation when moving abroad doesn't really apply when you are alienated at home too

If I leave the country I still owe US taxes, so I'd be double paying.  Besides, why do they need my dead ass over a native?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142279 on: January 29, 2019, 03:55:38 am »

Some countries actually have tax agreements with the US! You still have to go through the fuckery of filing a tax report to the US, but you won't owe taxes to both governments.

Which reminds me, I... Really need to figure out what I'm gonna do with that.

EDIT: So, package has arrived. I got an SMS confirmation that they'd left it on my doormat. Was on my way out to get it, but found it sitting inside the apartment's entryway. Evidently it had been delivered earlier than the service mentioned, and GF had quickly tossed it inside the door on her way out (she tends to be a bit rushed).

So I decided to check the tracking information. Yep, sure enough, SMS informing of the package was sent at 9:40 AM... Package was delivered (according to their equipment) at 3 AM.

So this envelope would've just been sitting there for six and a half hours with me none the wiser if she hadn't taken it in a couple hours ago. At least in this case it was left inside the building (I'm presuming), but that's still a little bit shabby I have to say...

It also claims to have been delivered to a completely different postal code than where I live. Maybe they just delivered it at the wrong place in the middle of the night and then spent a few hours driving it to my actual address. Yeah.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142280 on: January 29, 2019, 04:46:21 am »

You can drop your US citizenship, but you'd need a replacement ready
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142281 on: January 29, 2019, 05:06:32 am »

You can drop your US citizenship, but you'd need a replacement ready
I'm a natural dual citizen, and I'm not entirely sure I want to take the extreme no-going-back decision of renouncing my US citizenship for the sake of some tax returns.

I happen to be living in a country with just such a tax agreement with the US!  Unfortunately, I've lived a horrifically sheltered life and have never done my own taxes (Norwegian government does them for you, you're basically just asked to confirm that everything they put together looks looks good enough), so the prospect is a little worrying.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142282 on: January 29, 2019, 05:13:01 am »

Note that there are substantial taxable income reductions for US citizens working abroad that would likely completely negate any liability (around $100,000 income before any is owed if certain requirements are met, as I understand it, plus loads of other deductions). The system is meant for very rich tax dodgers, and the IRS is more interested in compliance than it is in punitive measures. Also note that even renouncing your citizenship isn't necessarily enough due to an explicit "expat" tax, insane as that sounds.

You can read more about it here, if you're seriously interested.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-54

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142283 on: January 29, 2019, 06:26:09 am »

(Norwegian government does them for you, you're basically just asked to confirm that everything they put together looks looks good enough).
But then how would I eke out my extra few hundred dollars for not-entirely-un-dodgy claims?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142284 on: January 29, 2019, 06:47:44 am »

(Norwegian government does them for you, you're basically just asked to confirm that everything they put together looks looks good enough).
But then how would I eke out my extra few hundred dollars for not-entirely-un-dodgy claims?
Well, you're welcome to make adjustments to their evaluation... But if you're cutting it on the slim side, you can bet your ass that you're paying backtaxes the year after.

Thankfully, they're also pretty good about paying out returns. This is extra nice because they tend to finish paying out shortly before vacation season starts, so if you've been paying too much in taxes then you get a little bonus just in time for Spain. Some folks actually use the tax department as a kind of savings account, and intentionally pay too much in taxes so that they get that bonus payout at an opportune time...

It also makes backtaxes put a firm foot down on your spa plans.

In other news, just tried out the grooming kit. I... Well, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so there's not a whole lot to expect out of it. I *think* it's a bit better and that I managed to trim off some of the worst sticky-outy offenders, but I really don't know my way around a pair of scissors... Or a comb, for that matter. A really small comb.

Anyways, I'm reasonably sure that Assyrian Amish is at least some upgrade over Caveless Man, and at the very least I've reduced my fiber intake by getting rid of my baleen filter. I just hope I manage to actually get better at using this stuff.

Oh, yeah, and the comb is made out of horn, so it... Really, really stinks when you get it wet. So that's fun.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142285 on: January 29, 2019, 07:24:25 am »

Really my grievance is that, that's what modern life IS now.  Job hunting is exactly the same.  You carpet bomb the entire local area in resumes, and even getting A RESPONSE, not even a positive one, a response is a miracle at all.  And there's just no alternative anymore, it just shouting at brick walls all the way down until you discover there's no place for you in modern society and finally just off yourself.
Not for me. No matter what I say though I'm sure you can think of a way to rationalize it that ignores my experience and supports your negative outlook though

Sorry if I'm making a faulty assumption, but I assumed that homosexual/transsexual dating culture was just plain different from hetero dating culture. Just being scarcer, more than anything, changes people's attitudes and probably will make people more inclined to bet on a less likely prospect whereas with hetero culture prospective mates are so abundant that any one can be written off without much worry. That's what I always assumed, at least.

Though I agree that Roboto is a Negative Nancy, not that I can criticize though, we're two negative peas in a negative pod.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142286 on: January 29, 2019, 07:45:45 am »

whereas with hetero culture prospective mates are so abundant that any one can be written off without much worry. That's what I always assumed, at least.
I can't speak for everyone here, but when I'm interested in a woman, I'm interested in *her* as a mate, for better or worse reasons, not in "anyone of the female persuasion".  Therefore "writing off" is not exactly easy, or without an emotional cost.

This by the way relates on why I find "fake dates" (aka a girl approaching you only to introduce you to SOME other girl who is a friend of hers and whom she thought might like you). I find that sort of bait-and-switch very disrespectful.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142287 on: January 29, 2019, 07:52:58 am »

Coming at it from a bisexual perspective there does seem to be more engagement from gay guys than from straight women when I try dating apps.

Couldn't say why exactly, but I think it does come down to how women get message bombed at an insane rate, generally of low quality messages. Seen a few saying they get hundreds a week and can't be bothered to spend the time to sort through them all, though that's without the filter of needing to match first generally.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142288 on: January 29, 2019, 07:55:32 am »

If we were talking about dating apps then I withdraw my comment :p

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142289 on: January 29, 2019, 08:22:26 am »

If we were talking about dating apps then I withdraw my comment :p

I think the original discussion was about Tinder to be specific.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 9484 9485 [9486] 9487 9488 ... 10993