Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1335 1336 [1337] 1338 1339 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1816007 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20040 on: January 25, 2020, 06:34:59 pm »

Oh the horror, a virus infection has killed 50 people worldwide. Whatever shall we do. 🙄
A virus's lethality shouldn't be judged by the casualties it inflicts, it should be judged by how contagious it is, how easy it is to detect and how easy it is to treat. Oh yeah, and how lethal it is.

By China's numbers it's infected 1,400 and killed 50, that's in spite of the quarantine and new hospitals built, in addition to China being prepared for such a respiratory illness outbreak. If this shit were to spread internationally without controls, there's no knowing what kinda havoc it'd cause, especially when hospitals would get overrun by patients - leading to patients, even of other diseases, being turned away.

All in all it sounds like it's a little worse than a flu, with the worst cases having symptoms like pneumonia and kidney failure, but most people recovering after a few shitty weeks. There's no reason to panic but there's no reason to be complacent either, Lord knows China's already killed a hundred million pigs to stop swine flu spreading to other pig stocks or even spreading to human populations, so once (or if, heavens forbid) this disease is brought to manageable levels, there'll be more. Zika virus, ebola, this new coronovirus and even old diseases like measles are making surprise comebacks or debuts. It can join the list of regularly scheduled disease outbreaks like dysentry and tamer flu strains which we don't worry about too much because we're used to the casualties they cause by now

So do not be terrified; the Spanish flu has likely not returned. Yet be cautious and stop picking your nose, because the human population is increasingly in contact with animals, frozen tissues of ancient diseases and other humans all around the world

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #20041 on: January 25, 2020, 08:27:08 pm »

Yay globalism!

*rattles Bone Scepter*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20042 on: January 25, 2020, 08:41:58 pm »

Was going to give an answer like that. It's not just the 50 people dead  (yesterday it was 29). It's the potential fuck up this can become if its allowed to escalate, combined with the lack of trust of what the chinese government says. If the official number is 50 then I suspect at least the double is something more realistic.

I for one know if Venezuela gets hit, and we assume a 3% death ratio it means potential thousands of dead without taking into account how shitty and barely existent is hour health care. It would be like a boxing champion throwing a punch with brace knuckles at a blind kid with osteogenesis imperfecta.

Most likely, no, being realistic, this wont represent a human extinction event or even take out hundreds or teens of millions of lives, but it could scalate to still a lot of dead people (directly and indirectly) if left unchecked.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:44:38 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20043 on: January 25, 2020, 09:07:09 pm »

🤦🏻‍♂️  guys it's another out-of-season respiratory virus scare. We get one every three or four years. Seasonal flu kills half a million people every year and we don't lose our shit over it. It's not going to be *anywhere* resembling an apocalypsis. I'm fairly confident on national goverments being able to cope with whatever disruption arises. And I'm certainly not going to panic over this shit.
Again, this is not to say it should be ignored, anymore than regular flu, or any other condition should be ignored... but it's obviously not being ignored by the relevant authorities. The rest? The rest is media exaggeration, as usual. Bells and whistles to grab your attention.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:16:32 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20044 on: January 25, 2020, 09:49:15 pm »

I’d still expect an economic effect with the disruption in China.
Market was down on Friday
The situation in China has only gotten worse since then
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20045 on: January 25, 2020, 09:53:24 pm »

🤦🏻‍♂️  guys it's another out-of-season respiratory virus scare.
Did you mean in season? Because now is the usual peak of flu season in the northern hemisphere.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20046 on: January 26, 2020, 12:10:26 am »

A few notes -
Numbers I have seen are being confirmed by the WHO. I don't think the government is misrepresenting any serious numbers. Estimates of real infection numbers (related to confirmed numbers and estimating between 5 and 10% catch rate) have been anywhere between 100,000 and the entire world population - because people like panicing.

In China, yearly influenza has a lethality of 2%, due to elderly relying on traditional means to treat very preventable diseases. That's also definitely happening now - and likely will contribute in no small part to the number of deaths.

Treatment trials have started in Shanghai, probably using SARS as an example.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20047 on: January 26, 2020, 03:50:18 am »

*One person dies from a disease.*

OH GOD, WE'RE ALL DOOMED!
THE END NIGH!

QUICK EVERYONE PUT ON YOUR HAZMAT SUITS, BURN EVERYTHING THAT HASN'T BEEN DISINFECTED, AND AVOID ALL CONTACT WITH PEOPLE AND ANIMALS!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20048 on: January 26, 2020, 04:25:28 am »

Most sources I've seen put it at around 60 fatalities, even if they disagree on everything else. A friend claims it's actually something like 1500, though... I'm not convinced.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20049 on: January 26, 2020, 04:41:52 am »

Why contain it?

S'cool.
Old men
Running the world
a new age
I have contamination and mutants in my brain.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20050 on: January 26, 2020, 05:28:39 am »

My only worry is that the damn thing is mailable since I got some stuff coming in from Chine in the next several weeks or so :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20051 on: January 26, 2020, 08:41:15 am »

My only worry is that the damn thing is mailable since I got some stuff coming in from Chine in the next several weeks or so :V

Sorry Jopax, this will be you.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20052 on: January 27, 2020, 06:13:07 am »

*One person dies from a disease.*

OH GOD, WE'RE ALL DOOMED!
THE END NIGH!

QUICK EVERYONE PUT ON YOUR HAZMAT SUITS, BURN EVERYTHING THAT HASN'T BEEN DISINFECTED, AND AVOID ALL CONTACT WITH PEOPLE AND ANIMALS!
SHUT DOWN THE AIRPORTS, CLOSE THE DOCKS AND BURN THE BORDERS

GLORY TO MADAGASCAR

-final message of the Madagascan President

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20053 on: January 27, 2020, 06:20:07 am »

We will endure, and from your ashes we will blossom
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20054 on: January 27, 2020, 06:41:05 am »

No zombies yet. Some scray videos of terrified people - probably traumatized by SARS which was pretty bad. Right now, the coronavirus has a lethality of about 3%. If it mutates and turns more lethal, then all hell will probably break loose.

A bit late, but it's worth noting that coronavirus is only really deadly for older people. The youngest victim so far was 36. Babies and young children have been infected by coronavirus, but none have died yet, which suggests you have to be pretty well compromised on health already for it to be deadly.

Compare that to something like influenza's spread, virulence and mutatability, and the fact that it will kill your kids, given a chance, and it's clear that you shouldn't specifically freak out about this coronavirus if you're not actually worrying about influenza already.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/01/24/coronavirus-versus-flu-influenza-deadlier-than-wuhan-china-disease/4564133002/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:47:30 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1335 1336 [1337] 1338 1339 ... 1419