Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1239 1240 [1241] 1242 1243 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1830211 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18600 on: April 27, 2018, 09:43:54 am »

My experience is the inverse. All the dogs I've been around have been friendly, and we've had many. All the cats have been asses; again, many.

Though I suspect that has something to do with the utter lack of loyalty to you a cat feels. They're just gonna do what they want, unlike the dog-pack-animal thing.

KittyTac: 'Pest' is a relative word, as I discovered once in my childhood when looking at a patch of beautiful plants I was told were weeds.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18601 on: April 27, 2018, 09:45:19 am »

I mean, I've spent hours with a cat on my lap, with them purring as I pet them, but the REAL jerks are peacocks, I hate those things, *grumbling about peacocks and mental scarring*

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18602 on: April 27, 2018, 10:14:14 am »

Mice ruined my apple trees by gnawing their bark off. I intentionally let my cat destroy them.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18603 on: April 27, 2018, 11:28:30 am »

In my country people like killing cats cause the cats kill our rare native bird life yet the ignorance begins here because the rare native birb life isn't in the areas where people most commonly kill cats. Good luck finding a bush cat.
Yet I would say dogs have an equal damaging effect but people are less likely to kill a dog.
The thing about killing animals and being a psychopath is very wrong though. Thats just stats gone wrong

You know one of the foresters from the local indian reservation has been saying hes caught stray dogs killing peoples livestock out there, not the wolves or coyotes people have suspected. So youre definitely right about them being just as big a problem as cats. The reservation, though, has tons of stray dogs both in and out of town and almost no stray cats. Or cats at all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18604 on: April 27, 2018, 04:58:28 pm »

Well, I know just way too fucking much about emotional abuse, now that I write it out.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18605 on: April 27, 2018, 05:17:42 pm »

I was doing some googling lastnight on "why do people hate cats" after I made that post.  Came across this article.  I used to buy into the "cats are environmentally destructive killing machines" thing... but this Popular Science article contests that.  Check out the "Your Cat Is Too Clumsy To Threaten Wildlife" bit.  It makes sense that only feral cats are actually an environmental problem, according to their description.

Though I suspect that has something to do with the utter lack of loyalty to you a cat feels. They're just gonna do what they want, unlike the dog-pack-animal thing.

Also, I don't believe this.  My family has had several dogs and cats, and various other pets.  The best pet I ever had was a stray kitten I picked up one night.  I had her for 4 years, and spent hours with her every day (this was a very lonely period of my life and I bonded deeply with this cat), until my wife moved in.  She's allergic.  So after that, unfortunately, the cat stayed with my family and I spent less and less time with her over the years.  But she never forgot about me.  She was the scared of strangers type.  But when I was visiting, she would often seek out my attention (sometimes even exposing her to other people she didn't know and trust in order to do so), and be super into it when I gave it to her.  She died a couple years ago at age 18, and I spent a few hours with her the night before she was put to sleep.  She had very suddenly gone blind and lost the ability to walk, and was very stressed out by it - on the verge of panicky.  Old age hit her fast and hard - she went from normal to this in only a few days.  But after being apart for 12 years, she was still very soothed by my presence.  Spent a long time just relaxing with me and purring, when otherwise, she was freaking out and struggling to get up and do things.  That experience rivaled any of the stories about dog loyalty I've ever heard.  They just don't express it the same.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18606 on: April 27, 2018, 05:31:46 pm »

My cat was fiercely defensive of me, particularly against other cats.  She wouldn't attack them, she'd come to me *then* yowl and hiss.  She didn't care for my dad, despite neither of us feeding her back then.  Cats form attachments and build trust.  The only time she bit me at all was when she was hanging off a cloth chair by her claws, in a lot of pain, and it was the kind of slight nip that many people take for granted.

I left her with my aging grandma during a business trip, who spoiled her with wet food and unsupervised outside time.  And she got bit, and it was infected and swollen by the time I got back.
I didn't have the funds to prolong her life, and she was already old... but...

But despite all my creepy, bizarre, or outright terrifying dreams, every dream I have of her is how she was.  Peaceful and affectionate.  Heh, needy even.  I miss her, but don't feel guilt.

I'm sorry about your animal companion, SG.  I keep meaning to move on, but not yet.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:33:28 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18607 on: April 27, 2018, 06:04:15 pm »

Of 7 cats, including one who was a blind kitten we rescued from the street when I was a kid living in the middle east, none of the cats I've owned have been unfriendly.

Closest to unfriendly was Bea, but that was because she got weaned too early because the owners of her mom (rural couple outside Berlin I think, mom was a farmcat, dad was a feral tom) wanted rid of her. She wound up with suckling behavior (earlobes in her case) and never properly adjusted to playing without using claws. Where other cats would run up and bap you with their paws and then roll over, she would claw you from ambush and expect you to want to keep playing.

Neighbours who used to live across the street from where I live now had a cat who used to run right up to people in the street and beg for attention. Think she was a Bengal, which would explain her being so friendly. She once jumped in our car boot while we were unloading shopping and strutted back and forth begging for pets, climbed into my lap while I was in the garden. Used to beg my dad for attention too, but he's not really an animal person.

Oscar from next door likes to come to us when we're outside and get clapped and ear scritches as well. Has a weird relationship with our current cat, they get along fine outside but are still very defensive about their houses even though both go in the other house from time to time.

Hell, only unfriendly cat I've met in the past decade is a black and white one I've found in the garden a few times who seems scared of people.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18608 on: April 27, 2018, 06:07:26 pm »

I've known a couple genuinely unfriendly or badly behaved cats.  They run a very wide range of personalities.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18609 on: April 27, 2018, 07:54:28 pm »

Cats not loyal?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18610 on: April 27, 2018, 08:10:38 pm »

Only somewhat relevant, but I remember hearing about a cat that chased a black bear up a tree

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18611 on: April 28, 2018, 04:23:24 am »

Only somewhat relevant, but I remember hearing about a cat that chased a black beat up a tree
Look, I'm sure it wasn't said with any ill intentions, but I'd like to think that we've moved beyond such crass language in our society.

They're called jazz musicians.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18613 on: April 28, 2018, 02:37:40 pm »

Only somewhat relevant, but I remember hearing about a cat that chased a black beat up a tree
Look, I'm sure it wasn't said with any ill intentions, but I'd like to think that we've moved beyond such crass language in our society.

They're called jazz musicians.
Google calls them K-Pop.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18614 on: April 29, 2018, 08:15:33 pm »

Sometimes I put my gun under my chin while it's loaded and point it towards my brain stem.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1239 1240 [1241] 1242 1243 ... 1420