Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929615 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8460 on: March 19, 2021, 04:47:28 pm »

At least there's that rumor of a Batman game using the system. That's decently close to what I wanted, and the same company owns the rights to both.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: March 20, 2021, 05:38:22 am »

A swarm RTS where you are actually playing like a swarm, not a swarm themed army (Zerg).

"Oh you want to capture the arctic base on this planet? Better breed some extremely teritorial pack hunters who just love the cold so they migrate there on their own start murdering everything?"
"That Forest is filled with elves, here have some mutant apes who are going to swing from tree to tree just to stomp your head in?"

Sometimes I want games to take the control away from me so I can see what my ideas are leading to, sometimes I just feel like every single army or faction is just colored theme and nothing else.

I've always wanted a game, not so much in the RTS genre, but more like a creature simulator where you as a mad scientist omniscient creator gets to make organisms with different interconnected stats that can lead to crazy extremes. Then you just unleash your crazy monsters into an environment and see how they change it.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: March 20, 2021, 07:58:38 am »

The first Dawn of War games (praise be the emprah) used the engine of a game which name I can't recall that was something like that. Never played it myself but it saw appraisal back in the day.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: March 20, 2021, 08:53:00 am »

The first Dawn of War games (praise be the emprah) used the engine of a game which name I can't recall that was something like that. Never played it myself but it saw appraisal back in the day.

You wouldn't be thinking of Impossible Creatures, would you? That was unfortunately mostly just another RTS, but with the quirk that your units were designed by mashing two different creatures together in various combinations of bodyparts. So, yes, you could get some interesting extremes out of it (from what I can remember of my own tooling around with the game, the highest straight damage value was on a sperm whale with the head of a dragonfly), but there weren't any particularly noteworthy environmental interactions beyond "break shit".

Honestly... The sad thing is, SimLife is still one of the better examples of a "genetic playground" type of thing :P But it's old as heck and as such has a deeply simplified system of critter AI and interaction. I'd also very much enjoy more sandboxes like that.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: March 20, 2021, 11:43:53 am »

The Dawn of War Games used the Company of Heroes engine
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: March 20, 2021, 12:21:12 pm »

Yeah that one! And did not company of heroes came after dawn of war?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: March 20, 2021, 12:37:49 pm »

Company of Heroes came out in 2006, Dawn of War released in 2004. The first Dawn of War didn't use the same engine as Company of Heroes, but its sequels did.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: March 20, 2021, 01:07:19 pm »

I think CoH used a heavily improved DoW engine which itself was an improved Imposible creatures engine
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 02:35:04 pm by LordBaal »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: March 20, 2021, 01:57:32 pm »

I just know that Company of Heroes is when they started calling it the Essence Engine and they've been using that since.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

v76

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: March 24, 2021, 10:44:23 pm »

- A proper remake of Syndicate/Syndicate Wars and not the 'satellite rain' garbage 5 lives studios put out.
- A proper remake of the Thief series and not the garbage that was thief2014.
- The Legend of Zelda: Orcarnia of Time remastered.
- New 'Homeworld'

edit: Half-life 3

What I'd like to see is games made with soul again... this explains it better than I ever could
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:16:32 pm by v76 »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8470 on: March 25, 2021, 02:58:47 am »

The Legend of Zelda: Orcarnia of Time remastered.

There was one on the 3DS. Do you mean like an HD version for the Switch?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: March 26, 2021, 05:12:45 pm »

I would like an strategy game with real different mechanics for real different factions. Instead of just reskined factions with slight different mechanics, so playing with different factions migth be basically playing different games.

Universe at War: Earth Assault was kinda this. Shame it got shackled to the dumpster fire of Games for Windows which meant a swift death for the multiplayer scene.
Basic gist was, Earth gets invaded, super hard, and then you have 3 alien factions fighting over it.
First two factions were most similar to a classic RTS, the Masari were these sort of ancient aliens who built a base and trained units and that was mostly it, except you had a dark/light mode which would do wild shit like give your units massive DoT damage and enable certain units to fly while the other mode would give everything a damage shield and slowing attacks. There was a bunch of other stuff that got influenced by the mode you were in but I can't recall all of it now.
The Novus were a sort of robotic race, again, mostly classic RTS gameplay, except they would build massive networks of power poles across the map, and then use these to have their units zoom around trough them, making for incredibly good hit&run and raiding tactics. On top of that, since they were robots, they had this patch system which was a number of different faction wide buffs which they could apply to adapt to almost any situation, with the kicker being everything would shut down for a few seconds while it got downloaded.
The Hierarchy (I think that was the name) were the big bads, and they were the most unique of the three in that they didn't really go for base building. Instead they'd just call down giant ass walkers from orbit which you could then customize with a ton of hardpoints, ranging from weapons to unit production facilities, so you had this incentive to move around the map and use them to attack and harass. Of course that ran the risk of losing one of the stupidly expensive giant ass walkers.
Additionally both Novus and Hierarchy would scavenge the map for resources (your gatherers would go around sucking up cars, houses, cows, etc.) so you had to go out and control territory if you wanted to stay competitive.

Was a really cool game, made by Petroglyph before they kinda went to shit and started spamming out unfinished C&C clones of various flavors.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: March 26, 2021, 06:11:40 pm »

Was a really cool game, made by Petroglyph before they kinda went to shit and started spamming out unfinished C&C clones of various flavors.

i miss this game too. i remember a kickass mod to include the human faction, but made as a hybrid novus/human faction. so the faction ran mostly like the novus for infrastructure (the idea being we recycle our stuff to make things, using novus tools) and you build the human buildings from the tutorial campaign. the human units were given a small buff that made them more competitive but not much so you still have to use human wave tactics a bit but winning against the hierarchy like this was awesome and would make the Emperor proud.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: March 26, 2021, 07:05:09 pm »

The Legend of Zelda: Orcarnia of Time remastered.

There was one on the 3DS. Do you mean like an HD version for the Switch?

I want Zelda: OoT to be given the Resident Evil 2 treatment.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: March 27, 2021, 08:37:55 am »

I've been reading through my Earthdawn books, knowing I probably won't get to play TTRPGs for a long time if I do get to again, and remembering how much it influenced Fallout. I want to see what their ideas for an actual Earthdawn game were. I remember how much there was going on with Baldur's Gate, so I don't expect Earthdawn would have been too complicated for people.
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 577