Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Space Station 13 Remake  (Read 53912 times)

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 Remake
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »

Is gas pressure going to be affected by gravity, so that leaking gas would cling to the side of your station?
Nope, gas that escapes outside the station it quickly spreads thin, and if a gas node is thin enough it disappears.

Will there Newtonian physics, asteroid fields, complicated orbital maneuvers and such?
Players obey Newtonian physics, but not objects - they stay where they are when you place them (so no orbital maneuvers). Making an asteroid field wouldn't be too hard, but i won't do it right now - too much other stuff needs work. You'd be able to interact over long distances though, like building an orbiting ion cannon that can strike the surface.

Anyway, in the next build i'll have a chat system that can handle walls (ie. you can't hear people talking in a closed room); and no speech travels through vacuum. I also improved performance by quite a bit, and the game doesn't grab you mouse in such an obnoxious way anymore. Oh, and if the game detects that your locale is en_US, it'll use american units for the icons.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »

for the orbital stuff, just having a single specialized scaling rocket object that other objects can be specifically attached to and stay stationary relative to shouldn't be to hard.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2012, 07:00:35 pm »

Kadath, what you have looks pretty impressive so far. It's just very smooth and cool - you and your artist are doing a great job. 

My only question is - what was your favorite job to play in SS13, and what are you going to change about it in your version of the game?

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2012, 07:55:23 pm »

I have a feeling playing security will be easier in first person.

It'd be cool if medical jobs had some kind of minigame, eg cut along the projected lines to open the chest cavity, then extract an organ or w/e.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 05:32:43 am »

That would be a bit annoying in the more fast paced moments, when you need to quickly patch up someone before they die of space exposure/singularity-equivalent/traitor, and during the minigame they die, or something importtant happens.

Although the way a minigame would make a player focous their attention and their screenspace on saving someone would be nice, as it means that they can't patch someone up while also knowing whats going on around them.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2012, 05:36:31 am »

Yeah, this would just be for sugery, for quick stuff you'd just inject them with something and rush them into stasis whilst you work out what needs doing (not everything will require surgery, you might be able to cure it with chemicals or nanites).
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2012, 05:43:37 pm »

Also for Janitors instead of the mop a floor cleaner would be better. (the ones that look like floor polishers)

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2012, 04:11:50 am »

My first impression: All the yes!

My second impression:
- Not open source :(
- It'd take a small gamestudio with a few hundred thousand dollars of funding to remake a game as complex and detailed as SS13 in this graphic style completely

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2012, 06:31:35 am »

Not nessecarilly. Things are coming toghether nicely, I think. You got air pressure and such already, monitors are working, you can blow things up. Sure the weirdness with genes and bombs might be problematic (lots of art required) , but I have the impression this game is going for a more realistic version of space.

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2012, 05:35:12 pm »

for the orbital stuff, just having a single specialized scaling rocket object that other objects can be specifically attached to and stay stationary relative to shouldn't be to hard.
That's actually harder than you think... I'd have to rewrite pretty much everything, and even then it probably wouldn't work so well.

Kadath, what you have looks pretty impressive so far. It's just very smooth and cool - you and your artist are doing a great job. 
My only question is - what was your favorite job to play in SS13, and what are you going to change about it in your version of the game?
Probably engineer. Or research director. Anyway, it's a little too early to go into how specific jobs will work!

My first impression: All the yes!

My second impression:
- Not open source :(
- It'd take a small gamestudio with a few hundred thousand dollars of funding to remake a game as complex and detailed as SS13 in this graphic style completely
Well, i can't clone the entirety of SS13 obviously, but it's going to have the same core gameplay - it's "heavily inspired by SS13" after all. As for open source, it's not TOTALLY out of the question, but i'll probably not.

Oh, and i have a new test build uploaded, try it if you want to (mainly it's a lot faster, and has a chat now).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2012, 08:16:54 am »

Honestly a slightly less complicated but more intuitive (and goddamn beautiful!) version will probably be a lot more successful.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2012, 09:54:14 am »

That's the main thing I didn't like about SS13. You get plopped down in a station where folks expect you to know to do things you have to read a manual to do, and it's rather daunting and discouraging, especially when you have to go through a complex process of clicking, dragging, and double clicking. I'm looking forward to this project coming to fruition.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2012, 03:45:00 pm »

You, sir, maker guy.
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
For people like you with the mentality of "I like what you have here, but let's make it better." and then the ability and willingness to actually do it, and succeed! Though it is still WIP, I wholeheartedly await and expect it's release sometime in the near or far future.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2012, 01:54:25 am »

That's the main thing I didn't like about SS13. You get plopped down in a station where folks expect you to know to do things you have to read a manual to do, and it's rather daunting and discouraging, especially when you have to go through a complex process of clicking, dragging, and double clicking. I'm looking forward to this project coming to fruition.
well the game is expecting roleplay and roleplaying a scientist that has no clue how to work a computer would lead to people angry at your lack of knowledge. there are guides on SS13 and a goon wiki that teaches you the basics. Though I'm kinda want to see how crazy the Gibbed server of this remake would be.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2012, 02:56:34 am »

This looks really nice.  As in, really really really freakin' sweet.  I haven't actually played SS13, but I've devoured the goonwiki and watched a couple gameplay videos (I also have just enough experience with BYOND to loathe it with a vengeance).

I have my doubts as to how well you're going to be able to pull off something with this kind of graphical/dimensional complexity and still have it run smoothly in large multiplayer games, but considering how laggy things are in the original...  I wouldn't worry too much.  And you actually seem somewhat competent at making stuff, which is disturbingly refreshing.

Here's a hearty congratulations on what you've accomplished so far, and some raucous cheering for your successes to come.  We're all looking forward to that true Space Station Sensation.

Speaking of, how many simplifications are you sorta-planning on making?  There are a vast number of things that are made inherently easier in a minimalistic, 2D interface...  How do you intend to incorporate the ability for misleading other players, finding them out, plotting overly complicated acts of mayhem or violence (like oversaturating a room with oxygen and then setting up a remote signaler to cause a spark, or sabotaging the vent system to release an airborne contagion)?  Also, unless you're planning on shifting things over to the planet (I have a very soft spot in my heart for spherical gravity centers in gaming), how do you intend to sort out the work miners have got cut out for them?  An asteroid belt seems fairly reasonable, if somewhat resource intensive.  It also allows for concealment, "swapping out" old asteroids for new to keep mining fresh, and installation of radio bouncers/jammers and evil syndicate death rays.  What about monkeys?  The blob?  Changelings?

I'm certain there are going to be simplifications from the original, there almost have to be.  And, in a few cases, I don't think much love will be lost.  A first-person 3D environment already forces a stronger sense of atmosphere, so I'm curious as to what ideas you have for how this re-imagining should play out.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10