Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 109

Author Topic: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.  (Read 211010 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.
« Reply #975 on: April 08, 2014, 08:17:13 am »

Ship Beta: Team F: Grate

Open the door to the weapon area and peer inside.

((We're not actually at a door- just at a sign telling us where the line leads.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 08, 2014, 09:13:24 am »

TEAM G

Look around and search for another way to go back up. Get ready for anything bad that may happen when my teammates try to fix the elevator, dodging and escaping with BT if anything that may damage me happens.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 08, 2014, 10:14:08 am »

((We're not actually at a door- just at a sign telling us where the line leads.))
((Well, then I'd be heading that way first.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 08, 2014, 10:30:41 am »

((Okay.))

Brother Lars: Team F Chaplain

"I will take your advice, Brother Grate.  To weapons!"

Drag unresponsive team members toward the Weapons area.  Shoot fleshy hostiles with Gauss and mechanical ones with Projector.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 08, 2014, 11:50:48 am »

Team H, Starfleet Command - Anton Chernozorov

With the ships poised to attack and waiting for the right moment, and his old Kappa team command seat firmly occupied by another person, Anton takes the opportunity for a few minutes of downtime, and takes out his datapad.

Start a new program project based on the components of the advanced drone OS that don't involve actually flying the drone - the optical object recognition, parallax distance estimation, and LOS extension by relative coordinates programs. The new program must be able to take readings from multiple sources that transmit their relative coordinates, estimate the relative position and distance of the chosen targets, and correlate object databases between its instances running in parallel in different places. Then make it able to take readings from multiple cameras at each source.
In effect, it should be able to, given a target object with known shape, immediately recognize it when it comes into view of any cameras mounted at any source point, and have an estimate of its position and distance made known at all of those points, using relative position data and estimated target position. So that if several people have helmets with 360-degree camera coverage, and one person picks a target, then when that target comes into view of any of those people, all of them are made aware of what direction it's in and approximately how far it is.
Save any progress made on the program under "Reactive Awareness and Identification via Distributed Estimation Network" - codename "RAIDEN".

Do that again, except without the Naruto reference this time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 08, 2014, 12:45:23 pm »

Team F

Follow Lars. Shoot any fleshy hostiles with bolt action rifle.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #981 on: April 08, 2014, 04:13:01 pm »

TEAM A
Team A - Ship Alpha | Flint Westwood - Disguised Soldier
"Many small boxes"

I don't think skylars work if you disassemble them. As per things to hide a skylar, there is a big box in the room you stashed the knocked out men. It's full of crap but you could empty it.
((Hahaha! Oh, that had me laughing out loud for a while.
No, I meant use the boxes to build a small wall/fort around him and hide him in there. Like lego.

Also, nice music.

Oh, and attacking other parts of the ship would make sense if we could somehow disable/take over the Control room's security from there.))

Unless Skylar disagrees, load the box on the vehicle (after emptying it), stuff him in the box (make sure it can open from the inside) and start driving towards the nearest elevator.

If Skylar doesn't want to get in the box, load it on the vehicle anyway and start driving towards the elevator. Make sure Skylar stays a small distance behind me so that I can warn him about anything dangerous up ahead.

Send a wristpad message to alert the other team to the fact that we are approaching and that I am disguised. Attempt to use the elevator to get to them.

Listen to the "All" frequency for anything of interest.

Rehearse a good story about why I'm here and why we want to enter the control room.
Generally prepare a good lie (or the truth, that I was listening to funky music and didn't listen to the alert).
Something to give a speech dynamic bonus.

I'm assuming that if something dangerous/interesting comes up you will pause, so I give no conditional actions.

"Say what you will about those UWM techs, but the sure play some nice music on their radio."
Team A - Ship A || Skylar - Support

Right, looks like there isn't anything in the right direction, and it looks like they may have holed up in the last corridor before the control center. Not sure if we can stealth through that even in the best of conditions. Team D is near an elevator we could use to bypass some floors, I say we link up with them and then see what awaits us in that corridor. Sound good? ... Why are you gesturing at that... giant... ... Right. I've done worse.

@Team D:
(through Steve if necessary) We're on our way to the elevator you're at, on floor *?*. Looks like they're holed up in the last corridor before the bridge, as far as I can tell from the map. Flint is using one of their suits and listening in on their radio. I might be hiding in a box. Link up and head to the bridge?

Get the radio frequencies of the channels in Flint's suit, share them with Team D and Steve (in case other ships use the same frequencies) and listen in as well.

If the box can be loaded in a way that it can be opened from the inside while in the bed of the vehicle, help Flint empty and load it in the truck, then climb in.
Otherwise, object strenuously and refuse to get out of the bed of the truck until we link up with Milno :P

Skylar is placed in the large box which is placed in the bed of the cart. Good. Now he can pop out with an accompanying orchestra sting and startle his way to the top as a beloved horror icon for these new, stupid times.

You both drive off to where the map shows the elevator to be. The elevator is there, unfortunately it appears to be on a different floor.

You spend your time waiting for it concocting a good lie. Or at least trying to.

TEAM B

Team B - Remembering that Doc said no vacuum

Wait a minute, we're being exposed to the cold of space, aren't we? That's bad for me.

Follow team and charge a dynamic exo thing while I wait for them to open the door.
Team B: Wild Weasels

"That should hold until we can shut the door behind us. Shall we continue?"

Head back down the blue path and assist Simus in opening the door. Don't use my amp to open the door.

Team B 'Wild Weasles' - CO Simus
It should help, at least.

Hold off a moment for the area to repressurize, then attempt to open the door blocking our path, using manual overrides in increasing order of destructiveness, stopping short of explosives.

[Simus and morul combined Aux:5]

Well you get that door open without any problems. Cool.

Not so cool is the squat automated turret that unfolds out of the ceiling down the newly opened hall.

I think they might know you're here.

TEAM C

Team C: Audaxes: Thomas
"So, what's the plan? I'm thinking we should get onto the tram. We need to do this quickly."
Await the plan.

Denzel Gaunt- Team C, Audax

Take point while moving towards the bridge. Should enemies be encountered respond at melee range with my monoatomic sword and at range with my combi-rifle (Using gauss ammo first). Should we aquire a vehicle, hop on that. Also, try not to friendly-fire Auron. That would just be impolite.
"Let's get moving- of we call the tram, they'll know where to find us."

Unless the others object, lead the group forward.

Auron Team C

Follow the bridge line disregarding the tram.

Laser any sods we encounter unless they reach melee range in which case stab them with my sword.

Keep an eye out for turrets and other defences.

So the tunnel wanders on for a while, passing several doors, none of which connect to the green line, so you just keep going. Eventually, you come across the end of the line; an heavier, more reenforced door with a big fat set of turrets set into the ceiling above it. The tramway has a slight curve, so they haven't see you yet, but the second you move out to shoot at them or anything like that, they will.

TEAM D

Team D

Follow the blue line. Open doors if they are in my way.
Wait...I feel you are in the wrong place sir.

Team D, "Dead Dirtbags" - Milno - Leader - Ship Alpha

"Hey, Steve. I have some questions." Milno says over the comms as he swings his prosthetic arm inside the elevator to check for any booby traps. "Any rooms directly above, to the side, or below the bridge? If that's the case, we could use one of those laser cutters to bypass that corridor, since it's almost sure to be heavily defended. We could use the cutters to open several holes to confuse the defenders then get into the bridge through one of them. Any chance of that plan or anything similar to that working without crippling the ship?"

Ask Steve the questions above. Trap check the elevator. Join up with Team A unless Steve advises otherwise. Prepare to enact plan "laser cutters ahoy" in case it happens to be feasible. If shit suddenly happens, activate EMM and react appropriately.

Team D, "Dead Dirtbags" - Thaddeus - Grunt - Ship Alpha

Wait for Milno to do the trap check on the elevator, then join him. Pull up the map of the ship the sods sent us and inspect it, looking especially for alternative routes into the Bridge. If plan "laser cutters ahoy" is a go, help where possible. If shit happens, pop off a shot with the laser shotgun, then dive out of the way. Don't forget about the "Don't shoot milno" protocol.
>No. The bridge in all ships tends to be behind some pretty thick armor shells. It's one of the most vital places after all, they do their best to shield it.

The elevator has no visible traps or security devices, as far as you can see. Both members of team D board the elevator and ride it up to meat with team A. When the door opens, they find flint standing around, practicing lying to a wall. Thats about right.

TEAM E

Team E / Magilla
Magilla mad. MAGILLA USE KINETIC AMPLIFIER TO SMASH PUNY DOOR OPEN

Team E

Stop the idiot from damaging the door uselessly by punching it and just use the cutters instead. If that fails, look for somewhere that I can plug Steve into and have him do his thing to get us inside.

Team E- Lerman

Loot corpses. Search for any control panels and hack accordingly. If there are none, get to work cutting open the blast door with my cutting laser, but brace myself for the escaping air, bits of people and possible armored friends.

((Depressurising ships for fun and profit!))
Hmm three different ways to handle this all competing for the same thing? Lets see.

[Lerman aux:3+1]

Lerman gets it open via tech wizardry.

In the hallway beyond is another door, maybe 30 feet away from this one. It is equally fuckhuge and sturdy looking.

There are also 4 turrets - one on each wall - directly in front of it.

Oh.

TEAM F

Team F

Follow Lars. Shoot any fleshy hostiles with bolt action rifle.
((Okay.))

Brother Lars: Team F Chaplain

"I will take your advice, Brother Grate.  To weapons!"

Drag unresponsive team members toward the Weapons area.  Shoot fleshy hostiles with Gauss and mechanical ones with Projector.
Is there an adjective form for Vacuum?
"Vacuous"?

The first door along the red lined corridor leads to a rather large storeroom full of giant shells being loaded into some automated loading system. The next leads to the inner workings of that system. The third leads to a third system, which appears to be the mechanism that actually places the shell in the barrel, though much of the room is sealed off with a similar warning as the one encountered before. Finally, there is a firing control secondary station at the very end of the hall.

TEAM G

TEAM G

TEAM G
fix elevator

How? Mechanically, via the control pad, what? I gotta know what to fuck up when you fail.

Mechanically
TEAM G

Look around and search for another way to go back up. Get ready for anything bad that may happen when my teammates try to fix the elevator, dodging and escaping with BT if anything that may damage me happens.

[aux:4+1]
You manage to get the elevator unstuck via repeatedly yanking on it, for lack of a better description, and it slides into place. You select the button marked "CONTR" and wait as it lowers and then moves sideways somehow. It opens with a ding, dumping you out...into a hallway filled with engineer looking fellas that are all walking straight toward the elevator with tools in hand.

Oh dear.

TEAM H

HEY PIECEWISE
You missed me again

Hasala Nabin, Team H Sod Controller

Hasala studies the map for a few seconds, and then turns toward [Anton]. "Hmm. Hey, how many UWM sods d'you think could be in those barracks?"

Is that the only Barracks area on the map? If so, take the long route. If not, estimate of how many people or Sods could be in that barracks, based on the size, please.
How close is 'close'? Could the Sods reasonably sneak past without being noticed?
If the Sods can sneak past, take the short route.

So, exactly how many turns have I missed due to this, now? :P

The size is fairly large, judging by this room's relation to that one, but steve did say these ships should be mostly empty...It's close in that the entrance/exit door for the room connects to the same hall they'd have to go down to take the short path.

With the ships poised to attack and waiting for the right moment, and his old Kappa team command seat firmly occupied by another person, Anton takes the opportunity for a few minutes of downtime, and takes out his datapad.

Start a new program project based on the components of the advanced drone OS that don't involve actually flying the drone - the optical object recognition, parallax distance estimation, and LOS extension by relative coordinates programs. The new program must be able to take readings from multiple sources that transmit their relative coordinates, estimate the relative position and distance of the chosen targets, and correlate object databases between its instances running in parallel in different places. Then make it able to take readings from multiple cameras at each source.
In effect, it should be able to, given a target object with known shape, immediately recognize it when it comes into view of any cameras mounted at any source point, and have an estimate of its position and distance made known at all of those points, using relative position data and estimated target position. So that if several people have helmets with 360-degree camera coverage, and one person picks a target, then when that target comes into view of any of those people, all of them are made aware of what direction it's in and approximately how far it is.
Save any progress made on the program under "Reactive Awareness and Identification via Distributed Estimation Network" - codename "RAIDEN".

Do that again, except without the Naruto reference this time.
Ok. So, gameplay mechanically, what do you want this to do? It seems useful, but I'm not sure how it works in terms of game mechanics.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #982 on: April 08, 2014, 04:31:15 pm »

"Oh, hello. Might I interest you in a futuristic Trojan horse? I'd make it look like a rabbit but unfortunately there's not enough time." joked Flint. "So, everything fine with you? We got two dead on arrival but the pods are keeping them alive. Oh, and Skylar's in the box." he added, knocking on the box for emphasis.
After waiting for a response, he continued.
"One of you wanna take Skylar's place in the box? I'm thinking two of us use this vehicle and the disguise to take 'em by surprise and disable the security from the inside while the others help from the outside. Unless one of you wants to wear the second suit we got from those techs?"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:36:09 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 08, 2014, 04:44:49 pm »

Team B - Angry Space Wizard

FUCK YOU

Heat the barrel of the turret up to soften the metal, then pinch the barrel shut using amps.

Also dive for cover.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 08, 2014, 04:46:12 pm »

Team B: Wild Weasels

"Wait, hold on Xan. I have an idea."

Examine the turret for any convenient exposed wiring, and if I do see any, yank it with my amp. If the UWM isn't that bloody stupid, look for what's attaching it to the ceiling. Also, what kind of turret, ballistic, or laser?

((Welp. I don't suppose that I could use my amp to bend light around us? Well, with the stats I have now. I assume with enough skill and mindpoints it could be possible.))
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:59:17 pm by kisame12794 »
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 08, 2014, 04:47:29 pm »

((Oh dear. If we survive this, we need to work out a system of amp usage so we don't all fire our overwatch shots at once, so to speak.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 08, 2014, 04:53:48 pm »

Hasala Nabin - Team H Sod Controller

Hasala is distracted from wondering who the heck this "Steve" guy is, and when he could have told him anything like that, by the Sods' inactivity. Again.
"The hell is wrong with these guys? MOVE! I've given you the order half a dozen times now! Geez..."

Take the short route. Stop just out of sight of the barracks doors, and have one Sod check around the corner. If the hall is empty, approach the door cautiously. If they get there without any UWM personnel appearing, continue past, with at least half of the squad keeping an eye on the door until it's out of sight again.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 08, 2014, 05:06:38 pm »

Team B
Hey look, a free gun. Try not to destroy it, I want it.
Try to laser through the base of the turret with my laser rifle.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 08, 2014, 05:33:39 pm »

((I'm amused by varying reactions to turrets.))

"What now? Should we try and take over the gun?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 08, 2014, 06:02:15 pm »

Auron team C.

Attempt to melt the base of the turrets using my microwave amp.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 109