Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859863 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #3900 on: May 11, 2018, 04:18:38 am »

I have a mood tracker on my phone. It alerts me a few times a day, and I can log my mood on a scale of 1-5 with two taps (I can add detail like nuance, activities, and text notes if I really want). I find it useful.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: May 11, 2018, 09:37:59 am »

My girlfriend was once locked away within the mysterious bathroom depths for 1 hour and 45 minutes straight. I know this, because I needed to pee.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: May 11, 2018, 09:46:30 am »

My girlfriend was once locked away within the mysterious bathroom depths for 1 hour and 45 minutes straight. I know this, because I needed to pee.

The only thing I know about the non-euclidean hyper-maze that the bathroom must be is this: if my Mom ever said "Five more minutes" I'd better put in a movie or something cause that's gonna be the longest five minutes in the world.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:24 am »

The only thing I know about the non-euclidean hyper-maze that the bathroom must be is this: if my Mom ever said "Five more minutes" I'd better put in a movie or something cause that's gonna be the longest five minutes in the world.
A bathroom's sink is in reality a metaphor for the literal time-sink they are, consuming your precious hours, never to give them back.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: May 11, 2018, 05:17:24 pm »

Everything does that to your time, though. Existing does that. Time does that to time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: May 11, 2018, 05:30:33 pm »

"Hammered In The Time By My Own Time", the new best-selling eTime by Chuck Timgle

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: May 11, 2018, 09:23:00 pm »

Sometimes I get really worried that I don't have friends that motivate me. They say you should hang out with successful people to be successful, you know? Or, at least as I see it, hang out with motivated, competitive people makes you a more motivated & competitive person. I mean, I love my friends, each and every one of them. But really the only thing i've only gotten better at as a result of my friendships is writing. None of my friends are putting any effort in, and I feel like I'm doing the same thing as a result.

Hope that doesn't sound super self-centered ://///

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: May 12, 2018, 09:35:00 pm »

Sometimes I get really worried that I don't have friends that motivate me. They say you should hang out with successful people to be successful, you know? Or, at least as I see it, hang out with motivated, competitive people makes you a more motivated & competitive person. I mean, I love my friends, each and every one of them. But really the only thing i've only gotten better at as a result of my friendships is writing. None of my friends are putting any effort in, and I feel like I'm doing the same thing as a result.

Hope that doesn't sound super self-centered ://///

I know how you feel. Though I have very few 'real' friends, and the ones I do have, I honestly kinda think they're losers, and is probably the reason why I've drifted away from them. Though that's hilarious coming from me, as I'm the archetypical loser, so I guess that's why we're friends.

but yeah, that's why I go to the gym, it's full of motivated people, even if I only know a small few of them by name, and otherwise never talk to them.

I'm tormented at the moment. I hate coming back here, but I guess this forum is my substitute confessional. I'm always thinking things like "People that need constant encouragement to get through their day/lives are just pathetic." even though I need constant encouragement, and the smallest trip up means a faceplant into the dirt. I frequently feel I can't enjoy anything in my life, not food because every little thing feels like a step backwards, that anything I enjoy eating reveals that I'm a weak and insignificant person, and if that's how I feel, that's how I deserve to feel. Most days, just getting to sleep is a fight in itself, as most days it feels like I didn't do anything, and my mind is racing at how it's another day wasted, and that I should hop out of bed and do something, anything, just to make that feeling subside. One time I was struggling to fall asleep for an hour or so, and then decided to get out of bed and just run around the block until I was so out of breath I could pass out; that was a bad day. This is embarrassing, but every couple of months, it gets into my head to go to a strip club, and I'll wind up wasting a couple hundred dollars every time, and I feel pathetic and stupid every single time. I feel like it'd be natural to just enjoy it, but I know deep in my soul that this is a poor substitute for the kind of attention and affection I crave every day, and that settling for it means I've belittled myself to an even further extent, as I have in the past, again and again. I've noticed the difference in skill between strippers, and the very good ones are actors of the highest caliber, being able to create a convincing illusion of sympathy, while the bad ones are honest, in that they're openly contemptuous of their customers, they know they're dealing with inferior men and even if they don't say anything to that effect, how they behave shows it clearly.

I need to get to work now.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: May 14, 2018, 08:38:55 am »

Normally I would attempt to offer some words of encouragement (in fact, I seem to remember thinking up a whole bunch of them yesterday when I saw the post), but right now I feel like shiiiiit.
Instead of using the past couple of hours for anything productive, like, say, exercising and making a nutritious dinner like I had planned, I went into a weird mood (not to be confused with a "strange mood", ending in death or glory) and went scrolling mindlessly through my old Facebook posts, seemingly in search of happier times - that usually ended up being somehow disappointing when viewed through a digital lens - and paying a bizarre amount of attention to who 'liked' each post, and especially checking to see which of those people were no longer on my friends list.

Of course, most of them I had probably 'unfriended' myself for some reason or another, but in at least a couple of cases I couldn't remember for sure and found myself fretting over just why they might have deemed me no longer suitable for friendship. Jeez, I think I should start keeping a log of people I delete (and tracking my overall number of "friends") to avoid such ridiculously petty concerns in future. :-[

Anyway, now after wasting so much time on that BS, I have no time to make dinner etcetera as my housemates have gone to bed and this house is basically built of fucking paper if the amount of noise that travels between rooms is anything to go by. And if I can't eat a decent meal, what point is there in exercising? Yeah, my laziness and poor mood collaborated to make that seem reasonable.
Come morning, when I have to get ready for work, I'll have to cook a hearty breakfast instead, still in super-stealth-mode to try not to wake people. Not to mention I have to prepare lunch for the day... and then actually go to work. Ugh. This just seems more and more dreadful the more I think about it. Also, I've been getting paranoid about my hearing and the (hopefully imagined) feeling that's getting worse.
Also I didn't do any washing today. Or much of anything - although at least I had a reasonably good day at work, where I scored a wonderful old book of poetry and a new pair of sturdy work shoes, the latter of which I obtained for free.

Going to end this post here, even though there was more bellyaching and histrionics I'd planned to indulge in.
At least I can try and get a semi-decent amount of sleep, rather than add extreme tiredness to my list of problems... good night Bay 12.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: May 14, 2018, 09:00:54 am »

And this, gentlepeeps, is why we say that social media is bad for mental health. And yeah, I've done the same thing, in case you thought that that was any sort of strange behavior (not sure what I prove by saying that, though... I mean, I'm not generally a bastion of normalcy either).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: May 14, 2018, 01:44:44 pm »

Just ditch Facebook and social media. You might experience some withdrawal at first, but once you've gotten over that, you'll realize how terribly psychotic you were for ever getting caught up in the fake world of social media, and be really happy you got rid of it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: May 14, 2018, 02:49:22 pm »

Just ditch Facebook and social media. You might experience some withdrawal at first, but once you've gotten over that, you'll realize how terribly psychotic you were for ever getting caught up in the fake world of social media, and be really happy you got rid of it.
Ehhh, I'm usually not that bad about it. Facebook's events feature is also extremely useful - it's how I find almost all of the gigs I go to. I don't know what I would do without it... read the music press? Laughable, there are a couple of local magazines that offer a gig guide but they tend to be utter shite, cover all genres and miss out on anything truly underground. (Actually there might be a nice to fill there, for a decent music magazine/zine...) Use some other website, like BandsInTown or whatever? Those websites tend to be pretty thoroughly awful in my experience. Also they'd run even worse on my laptop/phone browser than FB does. Rely on friends to keep me posted about gigs? Well, that would be the coolest option, definitely cooler than using Facebook to begin with, and I do have various friends who are good at keeping track of quality live music across different genres and styles, but... to start hassling them via email or, even weirder, phone would require a radical shift in my life, as the introvert I am.

I don't even have a phone number for many people. There are one, maybe two close friends whose number I have, and I usually just chat to them in the 'group chat' anyway. To be honest, in my experience when I avoid Facebook it really just means that I have even less of a social life than I do anyways. If I could replace it with more face-to-face human interaction, that'd be all fine and dandy. But I have a hard enough time seeking out social situations with social media, I am not nearly skilled enough in such things to get my fill of human contact without it.

That'd be all well and good if I could afford to rent my own home and go full hermit, but... I doubt that's going to happen any time soon, alas.

And this, gentlepeeps, is why we say that social media is bad for mental health. And yeah, I've done the same thing, in case you thought that that was any sort of strange behavior (not sure what I prove by saying that, though... I mean, I'm not generally a bastion of normalcy either).
Hmm, well thanks for the solidarity!
I just wish I could have picked sometime other than a night when I needed to get up at 5 this morning, though. Although truth be told, one of the main causes of that weird social media binge was probably just my natural instinct to procrastinate doing its best to prevent me from getting all the stuff I was supposed to do last night, done.

Matter of fact, I should probably go make a start on doing things this morning. >.>
It's so bloody cold, though. Ugh. That's a fresh Mild Sad for ya. According to my phone it is 8 degrees, but it feels even colder, probably because I didn't sleep well.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: May 14, 2018, 03:01:57 pm »

Normally I would attempt to offer some words of encouragement (in fact, I seem to remember thinking up a whole bunch of them yesterday when I saw the post), but right now I feel like shiiiiit.
Instead of using the past couple of hours for anything productive, like, say, exercising and making a nutritious dinner like I had planned, I went into a weird mood (not to be confused with a "strange mood", ending in death or glory) and went scrolling mindlessly through my old Facebook posts, seemingly in search of happier times - that usually ended up being somehow disappointing when viewed through a digital lens - and paying a bizarre amount of attention to who 'liked' each post, and especially checking to see which of those people were no longer on my friends list.

Of course, most of them I had probably 'unfriended' myself for some reason or another, but in at least a couple of cases I couldn't remember for sure and found myself fretting over just why they might have deemed me no longer suitable for friendship. Jeez, I think I should start keeping a log of people I delete (and tracking my overall number of "friends") to avoid such ridiculously petty concerns in future. :-[

Anyway, now after wasting so much time on that BS, I have no time to make dinner etcetera as my housemates have gone to bed and this house is basically built of fucking paper if the amount of noise that travels between rooms is anything to go by. And if I can't eat a decent meal, what point is there in exercising? Yeah, my laziness and poor mood collaborated to make that seem reasonable.
Come morning, when I have to get ready for work, I'll have to cook a hearty breakfast instead, still in super-stealth-mode to try not to wake people. Not to mention I have to prepare lunch for the day... and then actually go to work. Ugh. This just seems more and more dreadful the more I think about it. Also, I've been getting paranoid about my hearing and the (hopefully imagined) feeling that's getting worse.
Also I didn't do any washing today. Or much of anything - although at least I had a reasonably good day at work, where I scored a wonderful old book of poetry and a new pair of sturdy work shoes, the latter of which I obtained for free.

Going to end this post here, even though there was more bellyaching and histrionics I'd planned to indulge in.
At least I can try and get a semi-decent amount of sleep, rather than add extreme tiredness to my list of problems... good night Bay 12.
If it makes you happier I regularly purge out of facebook people with whom I dont really interact anymore.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: May 14, 2018, 03:26:41 pm »

Sometimes that is impossible. For example, many teachers in my university use facebook to share texts and notify students of things like tests or cancelled classes.

Then again, I barely even check facebook and haven't posted a single thing outside these univestiy groups for years now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: May 14, 2018, 10:45:46 pm »

A good detox tactic for Facebook is to obsessively unfollow everything that lands in your facebook feed. Unfollowing is an action so it absorbs some attention, but the effect is that you gradually reduce the amount of information flowing in through facebook.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 779