Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859900 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10575 on: November 25, 2022, 05:10:14 pm »

Is there any way you can put the figurines out of reach of the dog? Or just not let him in the room.

Space is rather limited for me. I've been doing the whole hobby for about 15 years at this point, and have always had a habit of sprawling multiple projects out across the room, and while older models were fine being shoved in a shoebox with some bubblewrap when I needed to put them out of the way the more recent stuff needs a more delicate touch and bigger containers, which gets expensive fast. On top of that my room is also where I store all of my other stuff and some of the supplies for my own pets.

I have a set of shelves in the garage, but they're mostly occupied by spare reptile/fish stuff like quarantine tanks and travel tubs. Not enough space for me to set up boxes with foam or magnetic trays to store things in. Somewhere upwards of 90% of everything I own is in the one room.

As for keeping him out, that works until it doesn't. I spend most of my time in the room, and remembering to close the door everytime I go to the bathroom or to get a drink isn't easy. Every now and then I relax, forget to close it properly (it has a door spring that I bought to close it behind me for this exact reason, but it doesn't actually shut it anymore for some reason,) and then I come back to find the dog has taken the chance to go poke around. Usually doesn't result in anything being damaged, but when it does it's always something valuable and impossible to fix.

I almost never used to keep my door shut, it was always open for the cat and the tortoise to wander in and out as they wanted, now it's shut near constantly.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: November 25, 2022, 06:15:32 pm »

Almost my entire family (like 50+ people) were exposed to Covid. Our great-uncle who hosts Thanksgiving is quite elderly and everyone made it because he's hosted thanksgiving for the last literal 50 years and we're worried about his health.

He tested for Covid after thanksgiving :(

Me and my wife and kid were not there because we could still be contagious for our own little plague, ironically.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: November 26, 2022, 04:39:24 am »

I don't think I've ever held such animosity towards any living thing as I do towards him. I seriously would have preferred a god damn crocodile over the wretch.
Have you ever thought about getting rid of it, like taking it to a shelter or out somewhere and leaving it behind?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: November 26, 2022, 07:21:44 am »

Reverse shock collar? I think they're trash, but how else are you gonna make the dog irrationally afraid of the room? If you train it, it would stay out if you're there, but if you're not the reference person for the dog, training it might prove difficult, and I wouldn't expect it to respect you in your absence.
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: November 26, 2022, 11:40:36 am »

Round here the issue would be the climate more than anything, though I doubt they're legal here without a license. Scotland isn't a good place for crocodiles most of the year

I mean, you say that, buuuut...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: November 26, 2022, 11:53:42 am »

Those are clearly logs
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: November 26, 2022, 12:16:28 pm »

Fuck cars fuck drivers... We allmost hit another deer... I go "shit what the word for " GWEHUHEe... managed to have a whole thought ans a scream before he hit the break.... And then as allways when I respond to a dangerous situation with the appropriate urgency, they go "why you yelling I saw it don't yell"

YEAH THAT'S WHY I MANAGED TO DO A WHOLE NOISE BEFORE YOU MOVED YOUR FOOT 5cm IT WASN't AS IF I WAS ALLREADY INSTINCTIVELY PUSHING DOWN MY RIGHT FOOT BEFORE I MANAGED TO EXPRESS MYSELF
let

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: November 26, 2022, 12:41:04 pm »

Reverse shock collar?

I sincerely endorse this method. There are shock collars that come with sensors that trigger when a dog crosses a certain line. If you set the doorway to your room to be that line, then the dog won’t be able to remain inside without experiencing the shocks. It worked very well for the dogs of my mom’s friend
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: November 26, 2022, 01:02:21 pm »

I feel dysphoric. Not any particular type of dysphoria - I just feel unsure about everything. These feelings been here for about a week now.

I was never the most stable person. Am I finally starting to go off the deep end?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: November 26, 2022, 01:09:19 pm »

Ayyy animal cruelty is awesome.

Better to punish the animal than learn to adapt our own behaviour to prevent it doing the shit we don’t like.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: November 26, 2022, 01:20:37 pm »

That's why I said I think they're trash, but I fail to see how he gonna solve this with positive reinforcement, short of becoming the new super dog daddy and allways stimulating the dog to the max, which like, who'd do that for a dog they don't like. Now you might argue well if you get to know the dog you'll like him etc... But seems to me it's not "his" dog and he never wanted it.

Putting your shit out of reach is an option until you have too much of it. Some rooms just aren't pet friendly.

edit: Oh right. Sry. Fix the godamn spring on the door.
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: November 26, 2022, 01:28:27 pm »

Closing the door manually is also an option in this instance, unless the dog can phase through objects.

I just don’t understand some people’s jump to “oh just abuse the dog” as the next logical step from “a dog in my house behaves differently from how I want it to”.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: November 26, 2022, 01:33:45 pm »

When we dogsit, which happens super rarely it is inconceivable that I'd let it in here unsupervised.

But man, if you're asking me to allways remember little details like that, EVERYTIME, EVERYDAY, because if not there will be punishement (to the dog the difficult to access room must be extremly enticing)... maaan you might as well ask for the moon.

Seriously tho, 35$ figurine... The spring will pay for itself, fix it.*

*edit again, see I can't allways keep track of all the details: if the dog learns to open doors, you deal with that in due time, until then the solution is obvious

**redit: unless a spring might hurt other pets

ugh shutting up is allways the best course of action
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 01:37:31 pm by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: November 26, 2022, 02:47:43 pm »

unless the dog can phase through objects.

Help my puppy learned how to backwards long jump up the stairs I can't catch him.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: November 26, 2022, 02:51:03 pm »

Ayyy animal cruelty is awesome.

Better to punish the animal than learn to adapt our own behaviour to prevent it doing the shit we don’t like.
The better "shock" collars nowadays just use noise instead of actual electricity. Works pretty well, not nearly as much cruelty, gives an immediacy to reaction that's both important for training and often difficult to impossible for a human to stay on top of.

Cases like what's being discussed, it's not just a "shit we don't like" -- figurines can easily choke or physically tear up the digestive system of a dog if parts of them are swallowed, so if physically removing the chance of consumption isn't reasonable (and it sounds like it isn't more than has already been tried, in this case), then training the dog to stop doing it is more or less what you have to do. Ideally, they'd have more space to store stuff, or a better condition door that closed properly, or any dozen other things, but lacking that your best bet probably is to just... train the dog to stop.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 779