Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9250 9251 [9252] 9253 9254 ... 10994

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13538466 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138765 on: October 09, 2018, 08:55:25 am »

I wasn't scorning dragdeler, I was pointing out An amusing fact that isn't widely discussed.

Ah, like that the Irish are associated so heavily with potatoes, despite those being an import from the americas as well?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138766 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:11 am »

I wasn't scorning dragdeler, I was pointing out An amusing fact that isn't widely discussed.

Ah, like that the Irish are associated so heavily with potatoes, despite those being an import from the americas as well?

Exactly.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138767 on: October 09, 2018, 08:59:22 am »

More like ~450 years. They were probably barely edible before then anyway. Have you seen older plant cultivars? Dreadful stuff.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138768 on: October 09, 2018, 09:02:59 am »

If Australia's 'thing' is beer and lamb, it's then two introduced species being enjoyed by a third introduced species.
We've literally only had a globalised population for ~250 years. Compared to that a 400 year history of tomatoes in Italy is quite good, as traditions go.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 09:14:15 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138769 on: October 09, 2018, 09:35:21 am »

Modern storebought tomatoes have been carefully cultivated to be big and to have a large yield and a beautiful, unblemished* red colour. Things like nutrition and taste are less profitable. Add to this the supermarket habit of refrigerating them (tomatoes are in fact as shelf-stable as any other fruit) that further makes them lose taste and you get the watery pile of meh that they are.

Cooking them strengthens the taste, but homegrown tomatoes are much better, especially if you can get your hands on some seeds for less standardized cultivars.

*also, most of the time the blemishes come from things that have nothing to do with the produce's quality: those brown gashes you sometimes see come from the tomato being rained on; completely harmless, yet literal tons of perfectly fine food gets thrown away for such "aesthetic" reasons.
To add to this, I would recommend that you guys try heirloom tomatoes. They look kind of weird, but they definitely taste better
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138770 on: October 09, 2018, 10:13:44 am »

My mouse is being an ass and registering single clicks as double clicks.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138771 on: October 09, 2018, 10:24:53 am »

Until I correctly parsed the start of your sentence, I thought I was having a stroke.  That's my WTF for today.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #138772 on: October 09, 2018, 11:01:07 am »

This generally means that the microswitch is wearing out. There's ways to rehab it, and it is possible to replace the switch itself, but I find that replacing the mouse is the more practical option.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138773 on: October 09, 2018, 11:07:55 am »

My new mouse just likes to pretend that I have Parkinson's.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138774 on: October 09, 2018, 11:08:45 am »

Cheaper too in some cases. I need a new one at some point, though opening mine and clearing some gunk did alleviate the problem. Now its only occasionally double clicking one a single click or right clicking on a left click.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138775 on: October 09, 2018, 11:36:21 am »

I cleaned my previous mouse with a q-tip pretty often, since the light sensor would get visibly dusty and the mouse's responsiveness would plummet.  The slot on my current mouse is too thin for that, but a toothpick wrapped in a little tissue works great.  The smaller slot also seems to keep dust out better, so I have to clean it less often.

Not that I mind, it's kinda fun to scrape gunk out of things.  And this is a whole lot safer than doing it to one's ears, that's for sure.

That said, last week I carefully q-tipped inside my ears - which you should never do - and then tried out my noise-cancelling headphones I had misplaced for a few months.  The artificial silence and "just scratched an itch within my head" was WTF, but definitely a good kind.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #138776 on: October 09, 2018, 11:47:56 am »

Until I correctly parsed the start of your sentence, I thought I was having a stroke.  That's my WTF for today.
It would have been better if you had thought you were going senile. :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #138777 on: October 09, 2018, 12:53:29 pm »

I was specifically referring to Kumis with that remark however, it gets up to 2.5% alcohol. Just pointing pointing out how far people will go for a drink. Fermented horse milk it is.Kefir is the soft drink version.

You are right in that it is an alcoholic fermentation but I think you are missing the point.

Historically fermenting milk was mostly about preserving food, so in this case the potential to get tipsy/drunk is better to be considered as a side effect.

You could *technically* get drunk consuming kumis/kefir but it's highly unlikely, even at 2,5% it's still lower than even the 'weaker'  swill tier beers which average at about 4-5%. Other recreational uses might come into play, but it still would be closer to how some people enjoy a cup of tea or coffee between or after meals, namely when they just want to drink something that isn't pure water.

Another point to consider is that for most tribes/civilizations, especially by the time of the Mongol Empire, both beer and wine would be readily available either through domestic production or commerce.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #138778 on: October 09, 2018, 01:36:37 pm »

For a long time, fermentation in general was less about alcohol and more about the fact that even the low concentrations made the liquids safe to drink, wasn't it? Or is that misinformation?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138779 on: October 09, 2018, 01:48:03 pm »

That's what I was always told.  And that "wine" as we hear about in the Bible was heavily diluted, since it was a means of disease-resistant hydration.

I don't know if it's true, though.  Just that I want to try some Fourth City Airag kefir, and kombucha.  Strong-tasting fermented, legally non-alcoholic drinks my dad used to share with us.  SO strong-tasting.

And not freakin' strawberry, or sweetened.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 9250 9251 [9252] 9253 9254 ... 10994