Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10636 10637 [10638] 10639 10640 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13396415 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159555 on: April 03, 2022, 09:19:04 am »

Password1!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #159556 on: April 03, 2022, 03:51:29 pm »

North-Irish

You know I twitch every time you do that

Why do you persist

Why   ;D
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159558 on: April 03, 2022, 03:59:44 pm »

Yeah, sorry, translation goof. We call it Noord-Ierland in dutch which translates to North-Ireland.
Northern Ireland would translate to Noordelijk Ierland but we don't say that
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159559 on: April 03, 2022, 04:09:51 pm »

Hehe, no biggy. I don't blame anyone for doing it (non-maliciously). I've just been programmed from a very young age to be aware of the political implications!

Essentially, it's me - not you.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159560 on: April 03, 2022, 04:13:54 pm »

If you don't mind, could you explain like I'm a stupid American?

I'm honestly not sure what you prefer that area to be called, even after all this time.  I'm aware of the general strokes of the history, just not the preferred terms.

Edit:  If I understand correctly it's called Northern Ireland and calling it North Ireland is a faux-pas.  I don't see a distinction, but I guess it's like calling transgender people transgenders.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 04:23:38 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159561 on: April 03, 2022, 04:22:37 pm »

If you don't mind, could you explain like I'm a stupid American?

I'm honestly not sure what you prefer that area to be called, even after all this time.  I'm aware of the general strokes of the history, just not the preferred terms.

Northern Ireland refers to the UK territory, and the people there are generally speaking Northern Irish, a distinct group formed over time from English and Scottish colonial efforts dating back some four hundred years.

North Ireland refers to the northern parts of the Republic of Ireland, and the people there are just plain old Irish.

I'm not entirely sure what the semantics are that made Northern the preferred adjective for the UK chunk, but it's probably to do with the Irish seperatist movement from the early 1900s.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159562 on: April 03, 2022, 04:22:44 pm »

I think 'North-Ireland' is what one would call it if it were part of the Republic of Ireland, which it is not.

EDIT: ninja'd

It's confusing though because Canadians are North-Americans but not Northern Americans, that's the folks from Alaska. There it's the other way around.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 04:26:08 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159563 on: April 03, 2022, 04:27:37 pm »

Okay. It's fairly simple, really.

'Northern Ireland' is the official name of the country which voted to join the United Kingdom, thus dividing the island of Ireland into two political and cultural entities. The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

'North Ireland' has often been used to imply a lack of legitimacy. Particularly as the Republic of Ireland is frequently simply called 'Ireland,' which would make 'North Ireland' essentially its province.

Edit: Ninjas. What the above said.
Edit Edit: Although some caveats with Grim Portent. Largely that there is no 'Northern Irish' language. There is Ulster Scots, but it's not spoken by anything approaching a majority.

'Northern Irish' is basically just our accent ahahaha.
Edit Edit Edit: Sorry Grim Portent, I just realised 'are generally speaking Northern Irish' didn't mean they spoke a distinct language, it meant 'are, generally speaking, Northern Irish.' Ahhh. I feel a tad idiotic now.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 04:50:39 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159564 on: April 03, 2022, 04:43:04 pm »

Thank you very much!  Northern Ireland it is, then.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159565 on: April 03, 2022, 04:51:48 pm »

Okay. It's fairly simple, really.

'Northern Ireland' is the official name of the country which voted to join the United Kingdom, thus dividing the island of Ireland into two political and cultural entities. The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

'North Ireland' has often been used to imply a lack of legitimacy. Particularly as the Republic of Ireland is frequently simply called 'Ireland,' which would make 'North Ireland' essentially its province.

Edit: Ninjas. What the above said.
Edit Edit: Although some caveats with Grim Portent. Largely that there is no 'Northern Irish' language. There is Ulster Scots, but it's not spoken by anything approaching a majority.

'Northern Irish' is basically just our accent ahahaha.

Ah, when I said 'generally speaking' I mean most of the people there are Northern Irish, but given the relationship with Ireland there's also a good chunk of Irish people there. That was rather silly wording of me given the existence of Ulster Scots.

Though the Irish also don't really speak Irish much to my knowledge.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159566 on: April 03, 2022, 05:00:42 pm »

I realised and edited in an apology! But again, sorry for misunderstanding.

The Irish language is still spoken in some extreme Western areas, but even there it's largely artificially enforced. My ex for instance was sent to one of those Western areas (the Gaeltacht) as a girl. The girls had their phones taken off them and weren't allowed to speak anything other than Irish.

That's atypical, though, and most really only know a smattering.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159567 on: April 05, 2022, 07:31:01 pm »

Tell me how Facebook knew I set up a date with a black woman and they started throwing group suggestions for interracial couples at me within 4 hours of it
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159568 on: April 05, 2022, 07:51:56 pm »

Dunno. I've encountered similarly uncanny algorithm matches like that several times in my own life. My best guess was that the woman said something to facebook, which allowed the app to identify you. Still creepy.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #159569 on: April 05, 2022, 10:15:22 pm »

If you have a smart phone, probably listening to you through that.

I visited Kentucky last year, without searching for it on the interwebs but discussing it with the people I was going with.

Many Kentucky tourism ads followed.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 10636 10637 [10638] 10639 10640 ... 10987