Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10977 10978 [10979] 10980 10981 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13426681 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164670 on: April 16, 2024, 03:30:47 am »

Don't pollute this thread with war stuff.

I am incredibly conscious of how much space things take up on hard drives as it has been the biggest lesson I've learned while archiving youtube channels, because the project slows down when the space gets low, then I have to get more discs before it can speed back up.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164671 on: April 16, 2024, 08:02:32 am »

I tried to watch a 2:47 video using the Youtube app on android.

First try, it plays a 15s unskippable ad and 8s of the video, then freezes.
Second try, it plays a 15s unskippable ad and 8s of the video, then freezes.
Third try, it plays a 15s unskippable ad and plays the video.

I try to move to a specific point in the video, the app instead jumps to another video and plays an unskippable 15s ad.
I go back to the original video, and the app plays an unskippable 15s ad and a 15s ad that pretends to be skippable but doesn't actually skip.

I try to comment on the video, and the app crashes.

In total, I had to watch 1:30 of ads on a 2:47 video and didn't even get to comment. Additionally, the video was stuttery while the ads were not, and while an ad was playing, and modification to sound volume was delayed by 5s.

So why is google trying to punish people for trying to watch Youtube in their own app?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164672 on: April 16, 2024, 10:30:37 am »

So why is google trying to punish people for trying to watch Youtube in their own app?

Because you're not currently also paying them for the privilege of watching. The worse of an experience they can make watching the free version, the more people will be incentivized to pay! A perfect business plan with absolutely no shortcomings!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164673 on: April 16, 2024, 11:30:12 am »

I watch Youtube in Firefox browser on my phone now, too. With ad block, because fuck that shit.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164674 on: April 16, 2024, 11:58:58 am »

Because you're not currently also paying them for the privilege of watching. The worse of an experience they can make watching the free version, the more people will be incentivized to pay! A perfect business plan with absolutely no shortcomings!
Except it risks that I will just stop using the app altogether and will only watch using an actual web browser. Which allows me to install adblock. Until now, when I was using an actual computer, I used Chrome with adblock. When using my tablet, I used the app. But since watching in the app is too terrible, I'll just install a third party browser on the tablet and watch through that.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #164675 on: April 16, 2024, 06:06:03 pm »

Except it risks that I will just stop using the app altogether and will only watch using an actual web browser. Which allows me to install adblock. Until now, when I was using an actual computer, I used Chrome with adblock. When using my tablet, I used the app. But since watching in the app is too terrible, I'll just install a third party browser on the tablet and watch through that.

Just use newpipe
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164676 on: April 17, 2024, 02:20:40 am »

It seems like most of those apps that are made for websites you can access with a browser are pretty shit for some reason.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #164677 on: April 17, 2024, 02:32:08 am »

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/youtube-will-start-blocking-third-party-clients-that-dont-show-ads/
Good news! Our benevolent corporate overlords have thought of that, if they get their way soon you won't have to suffer the horrible weight of being able to choose not to watch ads by not using their amazing app.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #164678 on: April 18, 2024, 12:04:30 pm »

Gods, being railroaded into apps sucks. I'm all for Newpipe since it doesn't hook a thousand claws into my phone, among other features. I already had a minor conniption at the start of the month where doing port forwarding on a Comcast router REQUIRES their godforsaken phone application instead of just letting you do it from the in-router webpage, and also absolutely will not let you set a reserved IP address for the forwarding target, and will not let you set forwarding if the device isn't directly connected to the router (fuck you and your wifi range extenders, enthusiasts!), etc etc. I shouldn't need to know MAC spoofing to get forwarding traffic working!

And shit, given the quality of software development work I see every day for my job, it's hard not to see most all software as hastily kludged together to barely give a user experience where the happy path is the only path considered. I can't even get my developers to read the details in my bug tickets or follow the three steps it takes to reproduce a bug without them asking me to spell it out for them again.

Capitalism is killing software.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #164679 on: April 18, 2024, 01:40:57 pm »

Apparently Maximum Spin and Bumber got banned by Toady. What the fuck for? Who knows—he also deleted their post histories. I'll just assume some overly sensitive, thin-skinned, effete sorts reported them over a minor spat in the AmeriPol thread.

EDIT: Shows me that i'm right in avoiding that thread as the eternally burning, radioactive dumpster fire that it is.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 01:44:17 pm by Strif3 »
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #164680 on: April 18, 2024, 01:45:24 pm »

Pretty poor form to discuss a banning, particularly one you clearly don’t know anything about.

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to be here.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #164681 on: April 18, 2024, 01:51:29 pm »

Well, if you know more, tell me. I'd very much like to know. And maybe you're right. Maybe they did deserve the ban, but until i know, i'll stick to my assumption regarding the situation.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164682 on: April 18, 2024, 02:10:59 pm »

No, I am right, it’s poor form. I am amused that you assume the reporter was thin-skinned while simultaneously getting bent out of shape over it though.

The last handful of posts left over about covers it, you can figure it out from that. Vaguebooking, Bumber was being typically abrasive, evidently Toady thought he took it too far this time, MaxSpin did step over the line a teeny bit though I personally didn’t think it was beyond the pale.

I suspect what got MaxSpin banned was me asking his opinion on the discussion, and I am genuinely saddened about that as he could be fun to talk to, but it’s Toady’s house *shrug*
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164683 on: April 18, 2024, 02:45:31 pm »

TIL what vaguebooking was.  I see people do that all the time, I generally call that attention-seeking.

It's kind of like how media will create a headline that grabs attention, but isnt actually a factual portrayal of events of what should be the focal point of an article.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164684 on: April 18, 2024, 02:53:53 pm »

TIL what vaguebooking was.  I see people do that all the time, I generally call that attention-seeking.

It's kind of like how media will create a headline that grabs attention, but isnt actually a factual portrayal of events of what should be the focal point of an article.

Pretty much. People saying they are not going to talk about their god awful day because they want people to ask about their god awful day.

Edit: Three bans in one day, oh me oh my.

Probably should’ve kept your head down there, Strif3.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 02:58:14 pm by hector13 »

Pages: 1 ... 10977 10978 [10979] 10980 10981 ... 10987